Position: Research Assistant Professor
Office: AAB 917, Academic and Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus
Telephone No.: 3411 8033 (office)
Fax No.: 3411 5757 (office)
Doctor of Philosophy, Hong Kong Baptist University, Sports and Exercise Psychology, HKG
Master of Science in Exercise and Sport Studies, Boise State University, U.S.A.
Master of Sport and Leisure Management, Hong Kong Baptist University, sport management, HKG
Bachelor of Sport Science and Leisure Management, The University of Hong Kong, HKG
- Physical activity promotion
- Physical activity measurement
- Older adults
- Association between social, physical environments and physical activity
- Light volleyball promotion
Dr Carman Leung is a young researcher and she completed her PhD study in November 2014. Her PhD study topic is “Parent’s perceptions of children’s physical activities”. Other than the research area “children’s physical activity”, she also actively involved in studies relating to “older adults’ physical activity” and “environment-physical activity/walking association”. Specifically, as an ex-Hong Kong Volleyball team player, she advocates promoting a new form of volleyball, Light Volleyball to older adults and people using wheelchair. Currently, she successfully applied two peer-reviewed external grant and three internal grants (see “Recent Grants”).
Teaching (Recent 5 years)
- Coping with stress
- Team Sport: Volleyball
- Other skill course: Badminton/ Table tennis
Recent Publications (Since 2014)
Articles in Refereed Journals:
- Chung, K. M., & Leung, K. M. (revising with request). Psychometric Properties of 8-item Physical Activity Enjoyment Scale in Chinese Population. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity
- Leung, K.M., Chung, P. K, Wang, D., & Liu, J. D. (submitted). Impacts of physical and social environments on the walking behavior of Hong Kong’s older adults: pilot study. Journal of Transport and Health.
- Leung, K.M., Chung, P. K, & Hagger, M. S. (revising with request). The effects of light volleyball intervention program in improving selected physical and psychological attributes of older adults in Hong Kong. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology.
- Leung, K.M., Chung, P. K, & Wang, D. (submitted).Moderating effect of gender to association between environments and walking among Hong Kong older adults. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity.
- Leung, K.M., Chung, P. K., Yuen, T. L., Liu, J. D., & Wang, D. (2017). Evaluation of the psychometric properties of the Modified social environment questionnaire (MSEQ-C) in Chinese older adults. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity.
- Leung, K.M., Chung, P. K., Ransdell, R., & Gao, Y. (2016). Evaluation of the psychometric properties of the parents’ proxy MPAQ-C in Chinese population. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, 20(1), doi:10.1080/1091367X.2016.1146144
- Leung, K.M., Chung, P. K., & Kim, S. (2016). Parental support of children physical activity. European Physical Education Review. doi:10.1177/1356336X16645235
- Leung, K.M., Ransdell, R., Gao, Y., Shiman, J., Lucas, S., & Chung, P. K. (2016). A Regression Model to Examine Predictors of Physical Activity on College Campuses. California Journal of Health Promotion, 14(1), 44-56.
- Leung, K.M., & Chung, P. K. (2015). Government should have walking programmers for older adults. Bauhinia Tribune, 21, 94-100.
- Ransdell, R., Manson, S., Wuerzer, T., & Leung, K.M. (2014). Predictors of Cycling in College Students. Journal of American College Health, 61(5), 274-284.
- Leung, K.M., & Chung, P. K. (2014). A concern about Hong Kong adolescents‘ health and sport particpation induced by the World Cup. Journal of Youth Studies, 17(2), 75-82.
- Chung, P. K. & Leung, K. M. (2014). Should Hong Kong bid for mega sport event? Bauhinia Tribune, 17.
- Leung, K.M., Chung, P. K., Yuen, T. L., Tse, F., & Yiu, W. (2016). Teaching kit of Light Volleyball. Hong Kong: Anything & Everything Limited.
Research Grants (Since 2015)
- “Residential physical and social environment on daily walking behavior of older adults in Hong Kong – A multi-level longitudinal study”, 2016-2018
Grant support: Government’s RGC (GRF), HK$$791,820
- “Impacts of the residential physical and social environment on daily walking behavior of older adults in Hong Kong”, 2015-2016
Grant support: Public Policy Research Funding, HKSAR government, HK$499,878
- “Promoting Light Volleyball among middle aged and older adults in Hong Kong”, 2015-2016
Grant support: Knowledge Transfer Partnership Project, Hong Kong Baptist University, HK$89,676
- “Promoting Light Volleyball among people using wheelchair in Hong Kong”, 2018
Grant support: Knowledge Transfer Partnership Project, Hong Kong Baptist University, HK$90,000
- “Production of Light Volleyball ball: The LVB G-II for Middle-aged and older adults”, 2016-2017
Grant support: Matching Proof-of-Concept Fund, Hong Kong Baptist University, HK$160,000
- “Development and initial validation of the Goal Content Questionnaire for Physical Activity”, 2015-2016
Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, Hong Kong Baptist University, HK$149,220
- “Tung Chung innovative sports and outdoor adventure camp project”, 2016-2019
Grant support: Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust
- “I - sports project: a sports project for creating lifelong positive values”, 2016-2019
Grant support: Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust
Professional Memberships (Ongoing)
- Member, Society of Health and Physical Educators
- Member, Professional Association for Transport & Health (PATH), Transport and Health Study Group
- Member, Kappa Delta Pi (sustain an honored community of diverse educators)
- Member, Hong Kong Society of Behavioral Health (till 2018)
- Member, Hong Kong Association of Gerontology
- Member, The Society of Chinese Scholars on Exercise Physiology and Fitness
- Member, Hong Kong Recreation Management Association
- Executive Committee Member of Light Volleyball Association of Hong Kong, China
- Executive Member, Measurement & Evaluation Council, American Association for Physical Activity and Recreation
- Wofoo Leaders’ Network Professional Group Advisor
- Mentor of Wofoo Leaders’ Network Mentorship Programme
- Executive Committee Member of Hong Kong Metropolitan Sports Events Management Limited
- Reviewer, Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science
- Reviewer, Journal of Exercise Science and Fitness
- Reviewer, Health Education Journal