Ph.D, D.Sc, FPhysiol, FHBA, FIETI, FRSB, FICR, C.Biol, C.Sci.
Position: Head and Professor, Director, Centre for Health and Exercise Science Research
Office: AAB 926A, Academic and Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus
Telephone No.: 3411 8032 (office)
Fax No.: 3411 5757 (office)
Honorary Professor, Institute of Grand Health, University of Ningbo, China
Visiting Professor, Ningbo Ninth Hospital, Medical Research Centre, China
Visiting Professor, Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Sydney
Doctor of Science (D.Sc.) University of the West of Scotland, School of Science Thesis Title: ‘Clinical and Health Implications of Applied Human Physiology Research: Biochemical, Physiological and Anthropometrical Adaptations’.
Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Human Physiology University of Glamorgan; in collaboration with; The Cellular Nutrition Research Group, University Department of Biochemistry, Oxford University. Royal Liverpool University Hospital, Department, of Biochemistry. Queens University Clinical Biochemistry Department, Belfast. Royal Glamorgan Hospital, Departments of Pathology and Biochemistry. Completed with three year Research Scholarship School of Applied Sciences, University of Glamorgan.
MSc Exercise Science, University of Loughborough (1989) Specialist area Physiology, UK
BA (Hons) Exercise Science, University of Wales Institute Cardiff (1988) Specialist area Physiology, UK
- Exercise and Immune Function
- Hormonal control and Exercise
- Applied Physiology
- Exercise Biochemistry
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Obesity and related co-morbidities
Professor Baker has been the Head of Department of Sport and Physical Education, Hong Kong Baptist University, since September 2019. He is a Fellow of the Physiological Society, a member of the American Physiological Society, and the Society for the Study of Biology (SSOB). In addition, he has membership of the British Pharmacological Society, and the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB). Professor Baker is also an Honorary Professor at the University of Ningbo, and has Visiting Professor status at the University of Sydney and Ningbo University Ninth Hospital Medical Research Centre. Prof Baker’s research has attracted considerable interest from the public and media with several articles published in the Times, Scottish Herald, The Scotsman, Daily Telegraph, The Independent, The Australian, The Guardian, Daily Mail, Daily Mirror, South Wales Echo, Scottish Evening News and Western Mail. Prof Baker had also been interviewed by BBC Radio 4, Radio 2, Radio Wales, Dragon Radio, Bristol Radio and Scottish News.
- Director, Institute of Clinical Exercise and Health Science, School of Science University of the West of Scotland, UK (2011-2019)
- Chair and Head of Exercise and Sport Sciences, School of Science, University of the West of Scotland, UK (2009- 2015)
- Head of the Muscle Metabolism Research Group, University of Glamorgan, UK (2002-2009)
- Professor, University of Glamorgan, UK (2005)
- Reader, University of Glamorgan, UK (2003)
- Lecturer, University of Glamorgan, UK (1997-2000)
- Research Associate, University of Wales Institute Cardiff, UK (1994-1997)
- Lecturer University of Wales Institute Cardiff, UK (1989-1994)
Honours and Awards
- Association of Colleges (AoC) Gold Award for Further Education Alumni 2015 for academic excellence. Ceremony at the House of Commons Terrace Pavilion on Wednesday 10 June 2015, presented by Lord Willis of Knaresborough, President of the AoC Charitable Trust.
- Recipient of the American Society of Exercise Physiologists International Investigator Award for 2008 presented at 10th Annual Meeting, Duluth Minnesota 10-12 April, 2008.
Recent Representative Publications (Since 2015; from over 400 peer reviewed full papers)
- Dutheil, F., Baker, J. S., Navel, V. (2020). The SARS-Cov-2 pandemic: a good time for stem cell transplantation? Biology of Blood and Marrow Transplantation. 2020 Jun 16:S1083-8791(20)30359-1. doi: 10.1016/j.bbmt.2020.06.009. Epub ahead of print. PMID: 32561337.
- Yu, P., Liang, M., Fekete, G., Baker, J. S. and Gu, Y. (2020). Effects of running-induced fatigue on lower limb mechanics in novice runners. Technology and Health Care. https://content.iospress.com/articles/technology-and-health-care/thc202195
- Sun, D. Fekete, G., Baker, J. S., Mei, Q., Zhang, Y., István, B., Gu, Y. (2020). Inter-limb musculoskeletal abnormalities in patients in recovery from a unilateral rupture-repaired Achilles tendon. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health; Special Edition, Health Care Sciences & Services, Advances in Foot Posture Assessment and Health Implications. https://susy.mdpi.com/user/manuscripts/review_info/918abeab926c32b73766578b0884cc95
- Sun, Y., Wang, A., Yu, S., Hagger, M. S., Chen, X., Fong, S. S. M., Zhang, C., Huang, W. Y., Baker J. S., Dutheil, F., Gao, Y. (2020). A blended intervention to promote physical activity, health and work productivity among office employees using intervention mapping: a study protocol for a cluster-randomized controlled trial. BMC Public Health. 2020 Jun 25;20(1):994. doi: 10.1186/s12889-020-09128-z. PMID: 32586293; PMCID: PMC7315542.
- Moradi, M., Hadadnezhad, M., Letafatkar, A., Khosrokiani Z., Baker, J. S. (2020). Efficacy of throwing exercise with TheraBand in male volleyball players with shoulder internal rotation deficit: a randomized controlled trial. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders, 21(376). https://doi.org/10.1186/s12891-020-03414
- Beigrezaei, S., Yazdanpanah, Z., Soltani, S., Rajaei, S. H., Mohseni-Takalloo, S., Zohrabi, T., Kaviani, M. Forbes, F. C., Baker, J. S., Salehi-Abargouei, A. (2020). The effects of exercise and low-calorie diets compared with low-calorie diets alone on health: a protocol for systematic reviews and meta-analyses of controlled clinical trials. BMC.
- Xuan, R., Song, Y., Baker, J. S., Gu. Y. (2020). Evaluation of Bone Mineral Density based on Age and Anthropometric Parameters in Southeast Chinese Adults: A Cross-sectional Study. Medical Science Monitor.
- Dutheil, F., Bessonnat, B., PEREIRA, B., Baker, J. S., Moustafa, F., Fantini, M., Mermillod, M., Navel, V. (2020). Napping and cognitive performance during night shifts: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sleep.
- Cen, X., Sun, D., Fekete, G., Baker, J. S., Song, Y., Gong, Z. (2020). Challenges and Strategies: Online Education Modes and Reopening Plans for Chinese Schools during the COVID-19 Pandemic: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health.
- Gharakhanlou, R., Wesselmann, L., Rademacher, A., Lampit,A., Negaresh, R., Kaviani, M., Oberste, M., Motl,R., Sandroff, B., Bansi,J., Baker, J. S., Heesen, C., Zimmer, P., Javelle, F. (2020). Exercise training and cognitive performance in persons with multiple sclerosis: a systematic review and multilevel meta-analysis of clinical trials, Multiple Sclerosis Journal.
- Graham, M. R., Bruce Davies, John Pates, Evans, P. J., Baker, J. S. (2020). Obesity and inflammation. Probiotics or pharmaceutical intervention? International Journal of Scientific Research.
- Shao, S., Yu, C., Song, Y., Baker, J. S., Ugbolue, U. C., Lanzoni, I. M., Gu, Y. (2020). Mechanical characteristics of lower limbs for table tennis cross step maneuver. International Journal of Sports Science & Coaching.
- Dutheil, F., Baker, J. S., Navel, V. (2020). To fight SARS-Cov-2: put your guns down: Canadian Journal of Public Health
- Dutheil, F., Comptour, A., Mermillod, M., Pereira, B., Clinchamps, M., Charkhabi, M., Baker, J. S., Bourdel, N. (2020). Comment on “Maternal exposure to air pollution and risk of autism in children”: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Environmental Pollution.
- Hosseini, M., Nikkar, H., Bagheri, R., Baker, J. S., Jaime, S., Mosayebi, Z., Zouraghi, M. R., Wong, A. (2020). The effect of interval training on adipokine plasmatic levels in rats with induced myocardial infarction: Archives of Physiology and Biochemistry
- Shourabi, P., Bagheri, R., Ashtary-Larky, D., Wong, A., Motevalli, M. S., Hedayati, A., Baker, J. S., Rashidlamir. A. (2020). Effects of hydrotherapy with massage on serum nerve growth factor concentrations and balance in middle aged diabetic neuropathy patients. Complementary Therapies in Clinical Practice, 39(10114). https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ctcp.2020.101141
- Dutheil, F., Baker, J. S., Navel, V. (2020). Firearms or SARS-Cov-2: what is the most lethal? Public Health.
- Yu, P., Gong, Z., Meng, Y., Baker, J. S., István, B., Gu, Y., (2020). The acute influence of running-induced fatigue on the performance and biomechanics of a countermovement jump. Applied Science.
- Gao, Z., Mei, Q., Fekete, G., Baker, J. S., Gu, Y. (2020). The effect of prolonged running on the symmetry of biomechanical variables of the lower limb joints. Symmetry.
- Martin-Smith, R., Cox, A., Buchan, D. S., Baker, J. S., Grace, F., Sculthorpe, N. (2020). High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) improves Cardiorespiratory Fitness (CRF) in healthy, overweight and obese adolescents: A systematic review, meta-analysis and meta regression of controlled studies. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health: Global Health, Interventions to Enhance Physical Activity and Nutrition in Children. ijerph-771153.
- Moghadam, B. H., Bagheri, R., Ashtary-Larky, D., Tinsley, G. M., Eskandari, M., Wong, A., Moghadam, B. H., Kreider, R. B., Baker, J. S. (2020). The effects of concurrent training order on satellite cell-related markers, body composition, muscular and cardiorespiratory fitness in sarcopenic elderly men. Journal of Nutrition, Health and Aging.
- Song, Y., Ren, F., Sun, D., Wang, M., Baker, J. S., István, B., Gu, Y. (2020). Benefits of Exercise on Influenza or Pneumonia in Older Adults: A Systematic Review: International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health: Special Section: Exercise Medicine in Health and Disease
- Ugbolue, U.C., Yates, E. L., Wearing, S. C., Gu, Y., Lam, W. K., Valentin, S., Baker, J. S.; Dutheil, F., Sculthorpe, N. F. (2020). Sex Differences in Heel Pad Stiffness during In-Vivo Loading and Unloading. Journal of Anatomy.
- Yue, X. G., Shao, X. F., Li, R. Y. M., Crabbe, M. J. C., Mi, L., Hu, S., Baker, J. S., Liu, L., Dong, K. (2020). Risk Prediction and Assessment: Duration, Infections and Death Toll of the COVID-19 and Its Impact on China’s Economy. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, Applied Economics and Finance section.
- Cen, X., Baker, J. S., Gu, Y. (2020). Effect of weight bearing on arch index and dynamic plantar pressure distribution during gait termination. Peer J.
- Quan, W., Wang, M., Liu, G., Fekete, G., Baker, J. S., Ren, F., Gu, Y. (2020). Comparative Analysis of Lower Limb Kinematics between the Initial and Terminal Phase of 5 km Treadmill Running. JoVE61192R3.
- Dutheil, F., Baker, J. S., Navel, V. (2020). COVID-19 as a factor influencing air pollution? Environmental Pollution.
- Cen, X., Xu, D., Baker, J. S., Gu, Y. (2020). Association of Arch Stiffness with Plantar Impulse Distribution during Walking, Running and Gait Termination. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health: Special edition on Podiatry and Health, 17(6), 2090. doi: 10.3390/ijerph17062090
- Lam, W. K., Jia, S.W., Baker, J. S., Ugbolue, U. C., Gu, Y., Sun, W. (2020). Effect of consecutive jumping trials on metatarsophalangeal, ankle, and knee biomechanics during take-off and landing. European Journal of Sport Science
- Gu, Y., Baker, J. S., Lanzoni, I. M., Lim, Y. T. A Special Section on Medical Imaging Techniques for Sports Injuries Diagnosis and Rehabilitation. (2020). Journal of Medical Imaging and Health Informatics, 10(5), 1133-1135. DOI: https://doi.org/10.1166/jmihi.2020.3003
- Bagheri, R., Rashidlamir, A., Ashtary-Larky, D., Wong, A., Grubbs, B., Motevalli, M. S., Baker, J. S., Laher, I., Zouhal, H. (2020). Effects of green tea extract supplementation and endurance training on irisin, pro-inflammatory cytokines, and adiponectin concentrations in overweight middle-aged men. European Journal of Applied Physiology.
- Bagheri, R., Moghadam, B. H., Church, D. D., Tinsley, G. M., Eskandari, M., Moghadam, B. H., Motevalli, M. S., Baker, J. S., Robergs, R. A., Wong, A. (2020). The effects of concurrent training order on body composition and serum concentrations of follistatin, myostatin and GDF11 in sarcopenic elderly men. Experimental Gerontology, 5:110869. doi: 10.1016/j.exger.2020.110869.
- Wong, A., Bagheri, R., Moghadam, B. H., Church, D., Tinsley,G., Eskandari, M., Moghadam, B. H., Motevalli, M. S., Baker, J. S., Robergs, R. (2020). The effects of concurrent training order on body composition and serum concentrations of follistatin, myostatin and GDF11 in sarcopenic elderly men. Experimental Gerontology.
- Sun, D., Fekete, G., Baker, J. S., Gu, Y. (2020). Foot Motion Character During Forward and Backward Walking With Shoes and Barefoot. Journal of Motor Behavior, 52:2, 214-225. doi: 10.1080/00222895.2019.1605972
- Dutheil, F., Zaragoza-Civale, L., Pereira, B., Mermillod, M., Baker, J. S., Schmidt, J., Moustafa, F., Navel, V. (2020). Prostate Cancer and Asbestos: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. The Permanente Journal, 24: 19.086. doi: 10.7812/TPP/19.086
- Mullen, C., Whalley, B. J., Schifano, F., Baker, J. S. (2020). Anabolic Androgenic Steroid Abuse in the United Kingdom; An Update The increasing popularity of anabolic androgenic steroids. British Journal of Pharmacology. doi: 10.1111/bph.14995
- Yue, X. G., Shao, X. F., Li, R. Y. M., Crabbe, M. J. C., Mi, L., Hu, S., Liang, G., Baker, J. S. (2020). Risk Management Analysis for Novel Coronavirus in Wuhan, China. Journal of Risk and Financial Management, 13.
- Mansourizadeh, R., Letafatkar, A., Franklyn-Miller, A., Khaleghi-Tazji, M., Baker, J. S. (2020). Segmental coordination and variability of change in direction in longstanding groin pain. Gait & Posture, 77, 36–42.
- Viega, E. C. A., Melo, B. L., Vieira, S. S., Ricardo S., Valenti, S. V., Campos, M. F., Vale, J. E. T. M. R., Rica, R. L., Soares-Junior, J. M., Baracat, E. C., Serra, A. J., Baker, J. S., Bocalini, D. S. (2020). Prior exercise training and experimental myocardial infarction: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinics, 75:e1293. doi: 10.6061/clinics/2020/e1293.
- Lv, X., He, Y., Sun, D., Baker, J. S., Xuan, R., Gu, Y. (2019). Effect of stud shape on lower limb kinetics during football-related movements. Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, 1-8. doi.org/10.1177/1754337119895183
- Dutheil, F., Aubert, C., Pereira B., Dambrun, M., Moustafa, F., Mermillod, M., Baker, J. S., Trousselard, M., Lesage, F., Navel, V. (2019). Suicide among physicians and health-care workers: A systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS One, 14(12), e0226361.
- Charkhabi, M., Khalezov, E., Kotova, T., Baker, J. S., Dutheil, F., Arsalidou, M. (2019). Schoolengagement of children in early grades: Psychometric, and gender comparisons. PLoS ONE, 14(11): e0225542. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0225542
- Song, Y., Wang, M., Baker, J. S., Gu, Y. (2019). The effect of voluntary head movements on postural kinetics in the standing cat. PeerJ, 7:e8186. doi: 10.7717/peerj.8186
- Wang, M., Song, Y., Valentin, S., Baker, J. S., Gu, Y. (2019). Kinetic analysis of felines landing from different heights. PeerJ, 7:e8007. doi: 10.7717/peerj.8007.
- Scally, J. B., Baker, J. S., Rankin, J., Renfrew, L., Sculthorpe, N. (2019). Evaluating functional electrical stimulation (FES) cycling on cardiovascular, musculoskeletal and functional outcomes in adults with multiple sclerosis and mobility impairment: A systematic review. Multiple Sclerosis and Related Disorders, 37(101485). doi: 10.1016/j.msard.2019.101485.
- João, G. A., Rodriguez, D., Tavares, L.D., Carvas, J. N., Miranda, M. L., Reis, V. M., Bocalini, D. S., Baker, J. S., Figueira, A. J. (2019). Can intensity in strength training change caloric expenditure? Systematic review and meta-analysis. Clinical Physiology and Functional Imaging. doi: 10.1111/cpf.12604.
- Clements, H., Valentin, S., Jenkins, N., Rankin, J., Baker, J. S., Gee, N., ... & Sloman, K. (2019). The effects of interacting with fish in aquariums on human health and well-being: A systematic review. PloS one, 14(7), e0220524.
- Boudet, G., Chausse, P., Thivel, D., Rousset, S., Mermillod, M., Baker, J. S., Parreira, L. M., Esquirol, Y., Duclos, M., & Dutheil, F. (2019). How to measure sedentary behavior at work? Frontiers in Public Health, 7:167.
- Zhou, Y., Baker, J. S., Chen, X., Wang, Y., Chen, H., Davison, G. W., & Yan, X. (2019). High-Dose Astaxanthin Supplementation Suppresses Antioxidant Enzyme Activity during Moderate-Intensity Swimming Training in Mice. Nutrients, 11(6), 1244.
- Ralston, G. W., Kilgore, L., Wyatt, F. B., Dutheil, F., Jaekel, P., Buchan, D. S., & Baker, J. S. (2019). Re-examination of 1-vs 3-sets of resistance exercise for pre-spaceflight muscle conditioning: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Frontiers in Physiology, 10, 864.
- Navel, V., Mulliez, A., d’Azy, C. B., Baker, J. S., Malecaze, J., Chiambaretta, F., & Dutheil, F. (2019). Efficacy of treatments for Demodex blepharitis: A systematic review and meta-analysis. The Ocular Surface. Advanced Online Publication. doi: 10.1016/j.jtos.2019.06.004
- Ash, G. I., Joiner, K. L., Savoye, M., Baker, J. S., Gerosa, J., Kleck, E., ... & Grey, M. (2019). Feasibility and safety of a group physical activity program for youth with type 1 diabetes. Pediatric Diabetes, 20(4), 450-459.
- Rogatzki, M. J., Keuler, S. A., Harris, A. E., Ringgenberg, S. W., Breckenridge, R. E., White, J. L., & Baker, J. S. (2018). Response of protein S100B to playing American football, lifting weights, and treadmill running. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine & Science in Sports, 28(12), 2505-2514.
- Negaresh, R., Motl, R. W., Zimmer, P., Mokhtarzade, M., & Baker, J. S. (2019). Effects of exercise training on multiple sclerosis biomarkers of central nervous system and disease status: a systematic review of intervention studies. European Journal of Neurology, 26(5), 711-721.
- Zhang, Y., Awrejcewicz, J., Baker, J. S., & Gu, Y. (2018). Cartilage stiffness effect on foot biomechanics of Chinese bound foot: a finite element analysis. Frontiers in physiology, 9.
- Mokhtarzade, M., Motl, R., Negaresh, R., Zimmer, P., Khodadoost, M., Baker, J. S., ... & Ranjbar, R. (2018). Exercise-induced changes in neurotrophic factors and markers of blood-brain barrier permeability are moderated by weight status in multiple sclerosis. Neuropeptides, 70, 93-100.
- Brown, E. C., Buchan, D. S., Drignei, D., Wyatt, F. B., Kilgore, L., Cavana, J., & Baker, J. S. (2018). Primary school children's health behaviors, attitudes, and body mass index after a 10-week lifestyle intervention with follow-up. Frontiers in pediatrics, 6, 137.
- Slimani, M., Baker, J. S., Cheour, F., Taylor, L., & Bragazzi, N. L. (2017). Steroid hormones and psychological responses to soccer matches: Insights from a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS one, 12(10), e0186100.
- Baird, M. F., Grace, F., Sculthorpe, N., Graham, S. M., Fleming, A., & Baker, J. S. (2017). Evidence of direct cardiac damage following high-intensity exercise in chronic energy restriction: A case report and literature review. Medicine, 96(27): e7030.
- Panagiotou, M., Johnson, M. K., Louvaris, Z., Baker, J. S., Church, A. C., Peacock, A. J., & Vogiatzis, I. (2017). A study of clinical and physiological relations of daily physical activity in precapillary pulmonary hypertension. Journal of Applied Physiology, 123(4), 851-859.
- Buchan, D. S., & Baker, J. S. (2017). Utility of Body Mass Index, Waist-to-Height-Ratio and cardiorespiratory fitness thresholds for identifying cardiometabolic risk in 10.4–17.6-year-old children. Obesity Research & Clinical Practice, 11(5), 567-575.
- Panagiotou, M., Vogiatzis, I., Louvaris, Z., Jayasekera, G., McKenzie, A., Mcglinchey, N., Baker, J. S., Church, A.C., Peacock, A.J., Johnson, M.K. (2017). Dynamic near-infrared spectroscopy assessment as an important tool to explore pulmonary arterial hypertension pathophysiology. European Respiratory Journal. 2017 Jan 4;49(1). pii: 1602161. doi: 10.1183/13993003.02161-2016. Print 2017 Jan. PubMed PMID: 28052962.
- Panagiotou, M., Vogiatzis, I., Louvaris, Z., Jayasekera, G., MacKenzie, A., Mcglinchey, N., Baker, J. S., Church, A. C., Peacock, A. J., Johnson, M. K. (2016). Near infrared spectroscopy for the assessment of peripheral tissue oxygenation in pulmonary arterialhypertension. European Respiratory Journal. 2016 Oct;48(4):1224-1227. doi:10.1183/13993003.01022-2016. Epub 2016 Sep 1. PubMed PMID: 27587562.
- Harcombe, Z., Baker, J. S., DiNicolantonio, J. J., Grace, F., & Davies, B. (2016). Evidence from randomised controlled trials does not support current dietary fat guidelines: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Open Heart, 3(2), e000409.
- Fu, F., Zhang, Y., Shu, Y., Ruan, G., Sun, J., Baker, J. S., & Gu, Y. (2016). Lower limb mechanics during moderate high-heel jogging and running in different experienced wearers. Human Movement Science, 48, 15-27.
- Buchan, D. S., Boddy, L. M., Despres, J. P., Grace, F. M., Sculthorpe, N., Mahoney, C., & Baker, J. S. (2016). Utility of the hypertriglyceridemic waist phenotype in the cardiometabolic risk assessment of youth stratified by body mass index. Pediatric Obesity, 11(4), 292-298.
- Cunniffe, B., Morgan, K. A., Baker, J. S., Cardinale, M., & Davies, B. (2015). Home versus away competition: effect on psychophysiological variables in elite rugby union. International Journal of Sports Physiology and Performance, 10(6), 687-694.
- Graham, M. R., Pates, J., Davies, B., Cooper, S. M., Bhattacharya, K., Evans, P. J., & Baker, J. S. (2015). Should an increase in cerebral neurochemicals following head kicks in full contact karate influence return to play?. International Journal of Immunopathology and Pharmacology, 28(4), 539-546.
- Hayes, L. D., Grace, F. M., Baker, J. S., & Sculthorpe, N. (2015). Exercise-induced responses in salivary testosterone, cortisol, and their ratios in men: a meta-analysis. Sports Medicine, 45(5), 713-726.
- Harcombe, Z., Baker, J. S., Cooper, S. M., Davies, B., Sculthorpe, N., DiNicolantonio, J. J., & Grace, F. (2015). Evidence from randomised controlled trials did not support the introduction of dietary fat guidelines in 1977 and 1983: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Open Heart, 2(1), e000196.
- Grace, F. M., Herbert, P., Ratcliffe, J. W., New, K. J., Baker, J. S., & Sculthorpe, N. F. (2015). Age related vascular endothelial function following lifelong sedentariness: positive impact of cardiovascular conditioning without further improvement following low frequency high intensity interval training. Physiological Reports, 3(1), e12234.
- George, K. P., Grant, M. C., Davies, B., & Baker, J. S. (2016). The impact of short duration, high intensity exercise on cardiac troponin release. Clinical Physiology and Functional imaging, 36(4), 281-285.
- Hayes, L. D., Sculthorpe, N., Herbert, P., Baker, J. S., Hullin, D. A., Kilduff, L. P., ... & Grace, F. M. (2015). Salivary testosterone measurement does not identify biochemical hypogonadism in aging men: a ROC analysis. Endocrine, 50(1), 256-259.
Book Chapters (Since 2015)
- Graham, M. R., Baker, J. S., & Davies, B. (2016). Peptide hormones, metformin and new-wave practices and research therapies. In Chemically Modified Bodies (pp. 201-229). Palgrave Macmillan, London.
- Baker, J. S., Davies, B., & Graham, M. R. (2016). Commonly prescribed oral anti-obesity medication and alternative anorectics. In Chemically Modified Bodies (pp. 173-199). Palgrave Macmillan, London.
- McCormick, M. M., & Baker, J. S. (2018). The Gut Microbiota, Health and Exercise. In Martin C., & Larkin, D. (Eds). Probiotics, in Mental Health. (pp. 21-29). CRC press, Taylor and Francis Group, New York.
- Grace, F., & Baker, J. S. (Ed.) (2012) Perspectives on anabolic steroids and doping in sport and health. Nova Scientific Publications. New York, NY.
Research Funding (Since 2015)
- 2019: Royal Society of Edinburgh, £24,000
- 2018: Toyota mobility challenge, £500,000
- 2018: Scottish Government, £67,000
- 2017: Chief Scientific Officer for Scotland Multiple Sclerosis project, £240,000
- August 2016 – August 2017: Bright 1 Bodies: Extending the Bright Bodies Weight Management Program to Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes, Yale School of Nursing Biobehavioral Lab and the Miller Fund, US$3,000.
- August 2016 – August 2017: Bright 1 Bodies: Extending the Bright Bodies Weight Management Program to Adolescents with Type 1 Diabetes, Friends of Yale-New Haven Children’s Hospital Elephant Grants, US$10,914.
- 2016: Digital Health Institute Lenus Digital Health Platform. Easton, C., (PI), Muggeridge, D.M., McRae, E., & Baker, J.S., £57,000
- 2016: Uddingston Cricket club, £20,000
- 2016: Mres student 2, £8,000
- 2016: ASHMANA project funded by DHI CEO (Pi JB and CE), £15,000
- 2016: International PhD student, £72,000
- 2015: Innovation voucher Laura Walker Ltd, £5,000
- 2015: Celtic FC Funded MRes, £8,000
- 2015: ASHMANA project funded by DHI CEO (Pi JB and CE), £50,000
- 2015: Censis Pilot work for C02 monitor (Pi DG & JB), £95,000
Professional and Community Services
EXTERNAL EXAMINER RESPONSIBILITIES
- External examiner for MSc Health and Exercise Science University of Wales Institute Cardiff (2006-2010)
- External Examiner for MSc Strength and Conditioning University of Edinburgh (2010-)
- External Examiner BSc Sport and Exercise Science Swansea University (2013-)
FUNDING APPLICATIONS GRANT REVIEWS
- Reviewer for research grants council of Hong Kong.
- Reviewer for National Institute of Health Service (NHS) Service Delivery and Organisation National Research and Development Programme.
- Reviewer for the Wales Office of Research and Development for Health and Social Care (WORD) Research Funding Scheme, in partnership with the Medical Research Council (MRC) Reviews.
- Reviewer for National Research Foundation.
CONSULTANCIES WITH ATHLETIC GOVERNING BODIES
- Physiological Consultant, Welsh Rugby Union.
- Physiological Consultant, Welsh Badminton Association (NCF).
- Physiological Consultant, Welsh Swimming Association (NCF).
- Physiological Consultant, Welsh Table Tennis Association (NCF).
- Physiological Consultant, Welsh Amateur Athletics Association (NCF).
- Physiological Adviser, to British Karate Kyokushinkai World Tournament teams.
- British Karate Technical Committee.
- British Karate Executive Committee.
- Physiology Adviser to Cardiff R.FC.
- Physiology Adviser to Pontypridd RFC (1991- 2001).
- Physiology Adviser to Cardiff Devils ice hockey team.
- Physiology Adviser to National Coaching Foundation.
EDITORIAL BOARD MEMBERSHIP
1. Public Library of Science (PLOS ONE)
2. Diabetes, Metabolic Syndrome and Obesity: Targets and Therapy
3. International Journal of Physiology and Pathophysiology Research
4. Research Journal of Endocrinology and Metabolism
5. Nutrition and Dietary Supplements
6. Journal of Exercise Physiology
7. Research in Sports Medicine
8. The Open Access Sports Medicine Journal
9. The Sports Medicine Journal
10. Journal of Biological Sciences
11. Journal of Addiction
12. Clinical Research on Foot and Ankle
13. Journal of Athletic Enhancement
14. Academic and Scientific Publishing
15. International Journal of Advanced Education Research. Science Publishing Corporation
16. Frontiers in Education
17. Research in Sports Medicine: An International Journal Special Issue “Physical Activity, Obesity, and Health” Guest Editor.
18. Biology of Exercise
19. Journal of Sport, Exercise and Orthopaedics
20. Journal of Foot and Ankle: Herbert Publications
21. Journal of Addiction and Prevention: Avens Publishing Group
22. Archives of Obesity
23. MOJ Orthopedics & Rheumatology
24. Journal of Cancer Prevention & Current Research
25. Clinical Medicine Reviews in Cardiology
26. International Journal of Diabetology & Vascular Disease Research
27. Cardiovascular Toxicology
JOURNAL REVIEWER FOR THE SCIENTIFIC JOURNALS LISTED
The Lancet, British Medical Journal, Cardiovascular Toxicology, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise, Lung, International Journal of Obesity, Archives of Pediatrics and Adolescent Medicine, American Journal of Preventive Medicine, British Journal of Nutrition, Chronobiology International, Journal of Applied Physiology, Lipids in Health and Disease, Clinical Medicine: Psychiatry, The Open Sports Medicine Journal, Nutrition and Metabolism, Archives of Pediatrics & Adolescent Medicine, Neuroscience & Bio behavioral Reviews, Biomarker Insights, International Journal of Sport Nutrition & Exercise Metabolism, Journal of Reproductive and Infant Psychology, Journal of Gerontology, European Journal of Clinical Investigation, Journal of Trauma, Research in Sports Medicine, Canadian Journal of Applied Physiology, Drug Design Development and Therapy, International Journal of Experimental, Clinical and Behavioral Gerontology, International Journal of Sports Medicine, The Open Anthropology Journal, British Journal of Sports Medicine, Journal of Sports Sciences, Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, British Journal of Nutrition, Journal of Sports Science and Medicine, Journal of Exercise Physiology, Environmental and Molecular Mutagenesis, European Journal of Applied Physiology, National Coaching Foundation Educational Reviews, Journal of Sport and Health Science, Physiology & Behavior, Journal of Physical Activity & Health, American Journal of Public Health, BMC Public Health, BMC Medicine, PLOS one, Nutrients, Nutrition Research, Journal of Clinical Endocrinology & Metabolism, Sports Medicine, Journal de Pedi atria, QJM: An International Journal of Medicine, Acta of Bioengineering and Biomechanics, British Journal of Medicine and Medical Research, Primary Care Diabetes, Nutrients, The Physician and Sports Medicine, Health Promotion International, Journal of Aging Science, Journal of Sports Engineering and Technology, Frontiers in Physiology, Injury Prevention
Physiology Section E&FN Spon, Nova Science
FELLOWSHIPS, CHARTERSHIPS AND MEMBERSHIPS
- Fellow of the Physiological Society FPhysiol
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Medicine FRSM
- Fellow of the Royal Society of Biology FRSBiol
- Fellow of the Human Biology Association FHBA
- Fellow of the International Engineering and Technology Institute FIETI
- Fellow of the Institute of Clinical Research FICR
- Chartered Biologist CBiol
- Chartered Scientist Society of Biology CSci
- Member of the Physiological Society of Great Britain
- Member of the American Physiological Society
- Member of the New York Academy of Sciences
- Member of the American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology
- Member of the Federation of American Societies for Experimental Biology (FASEB)
- Member of the American Association for the Advancement of Science
- Member of the Society for the study of Human Biology
- Member of the Pharmacological society of Great Britain
- Member of the American Association of Exercise Physiologists
- Member of the American College of Sports Medicine
- Member of the British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences
- Member of the National Sports Medicine Institute
- Member of the British Association for Biological Anthropology and Osteoarchaeology (BABAO)