Position: Associate Professor and Associate Director, Dr. Stephen Hui Research Centre for Physical Recreation and Wellness
Office: AAB 931, Academic and Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus
Telephone No.: 3411 5631 (office)
Fax No.: 3411 5757 (office)
D.P.E., Springfield College, MA, USA
M.S., B.S., Springfield College, MA, USA
Grad. Certificate, Victoria U. of Tech.
Advanced Certificate, Grantham College of Education, HK
Teacher Certificate, Northcote College of Education, HK
- Measure and Evaluation in Physical Activity
- Sports Medicine & Injury Prevention
Dr. Louie Hung-tak Lobo obtained his doctorate degree in physical education from Springfield College, U.S.A. and is the Associate Professor in the Department of Sport and Physical Education, Hong Kong Baptist University since 1993. He also serves as the Associate Director of the Dr. Stephen Hui Research Centre for Physical Recreation and Wellness, Hong Kong Baptist University. Dr. Louie is a Fellow and the current President of the Hong Kong Association of Sports Medicine and Sports Science. He has published extensively in the international journals and is currently conducting research on school children physical activity. He received the Quality Teaching Award from the Hong Kong Coaching Committee and the Metzler-Freedman Outstanding Paper Award, Journal of Teaching in Physical Education. For community service, he serves in the Elite Sports Committee, Sports Commission, Working Group on Sports Facilities, Football Task Force, Home Affairs Bureau, HKSAR and Steering Committee on Prevention and Control of Non-Communicate Disease, Diet and Physical Activity, Food and Environmental Hygiene Bureau, HKSAR; Health Care and Promotion Fund Reviewer, Food and Health Bureau, HKSAR. Textbook Reviewer, Education Bureau, HKSAR; Technical Advisor, Employees Retraining Board, HKSAR.
- Prevention and care of sports injuries
- Sport Media and Public Relation
- Outdoor Pursuits
- Outdoor Recreation
- Internship Coordinator
- The Chief Executive’s Commendation for Community Service Award ( 2018)
- Quality Teaching Award, Hong Kong Coaching Committee (2002-2010, 2013)
- Metzler-Freedman Outstanding Paper Award, Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, (2008).
- The HKSAR Auxiliary Medical Service Long Service Award. (2008)
- Merit Award for Research Performance, Hong Kong Baptist University (2001)
- Hong Kong Award for Young People. Long Service Award. (2001)
- The Open Contest on Production of Physical Education Teaching Materials for Hong Kong Secondary Schools Award, Curriculum Development Institute, Hong Kong. (1997)
Recent Publications (Since 2014)
- Louie, L. & Lam, S. (2019). 《運動 + 營養：講是又講非》. 一丁文化出版社，IBSN：978-988-78157-6-1
- Louie, L. (2017). 《請問雷博士：運動科學是與非》. 一丁文化出版社，IBSN: 978-988-77200-6-5
- Louie, L. (2016). 《動出資優兒》. 世界出版社，IBSN:978-988-8289-89-9.
- Louie, L. (2016). The physiological benefits of cycling, p.48-49,70-74, 114-115. In My first bicycle book, Edited by KM Chan, P Yung, KM Mok, & J Lee. Wanli book publishing Co. ISBN 9789621459435.
- Louie, L. (2016). The physiological benefits of running, p.16-24. In My first fitness running book, Edited by KM Chan, P Yung, & H. Chan. Wanli book publishing Co. ISBN 9789621459428.
- Louie, L. (2015). The physiological benefits of walking, p.17-23. In My first fitness walking book, Edited by KM Chan, P Yung, & K Yau. Wanli book publishing Co. ISBN 9789621454799.
- Louie, L. (2014). Exercise and myths, p.14-20. In My first fitness book, Edited by KM Chan, P Yung, & J Lee. Wanli book publishing Co. ISBN 9789621452818.
- Lam, L., Kuk, E., Louie, L. , & Lee, K. (2014). Chinese Martial Arts and Health- External/Hard Style Chinese Martial Arts. In Martial Arts for Health: Translating Research into Practice, Edited by Fong, S. OMICS Group eBook.
- Regina L.T. Lee, Michael Brown, Cynthia Leung, Hong Chen, Lobo Louie, Jyu‐Lin Chen, Paul H. Lee. (2019). Family careers’ experiences of participating in a weight management program for overweight children and adolescents with intellectual disabilities: an exploratory study. Journal of Advanced Nursing. |https://doi.org/10.1111/jan.13845.
- Louie, L. (2018). Promotion of Physical Activity and Reduction of Sedentary Behaviours in Children and Adolescents. Child Health Education and Advocacy Bulletin, Hong Kong Paediatric Foundation and Hong Kong Paediatric Society. December 2018 Issue 10, 46-48.
- Regina Lai-Tong Lee, Cynthia Leung, Hong Chen, Lobo H. T. Louie, Michael Brown, Jyu-Lin Chen, Gordon Cheung & Paul H. Lee. The Impact of a School-Based Weight Management Program Involving Parents via mHealth for Overweight and Obese Children and Adolescents with Intellectual Disability: A Randomized Controlled Trial. International Journal of Environmental Research & Public Health. 2017, 14, 1178.
- Frederick Ho, Lobo Louie, Wilfred Wong, Ko Chan, AgnesTiwari, Chun Bong Chow, Walter Ho, William Wong, Meanne Chan, Eric Chen, Yiu Fai Cheung, Patrick Ip. A Sports Mentorship Program Improves Adolescent Mental Health and Physical Fitness: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatrics. 2017 Oct;140(4). DOI: 10.1542/peds.2017-1543.
- Patrick IP, Frederick Ka-Wing HO, Lobo Hung-Tak LOUIE, Thomas Wai-Hung CHUNG, Yiu-Fai CHEUNG, So-Lun LEE, Stanley Sai-Chuen HUI, Walter King-Yan HO, Daniel Sai-Yin HO, Wilfred Hing-Sang WONG, Fan JIANG. Childhood Obesity and Physical Activity-friendly School Environment. (2017) Journal of Pediatrics. ISSN: 00223476; DOI: 10.1016/j.jpeds.2017.08.017
- Sivan, A., Tam, V. C., Tam, E., Ho, M., Wan, K., Louie, L., Ng, J., Wong, O., & Yueng, S. (2016). Building learning community through a transdisciplinary multi-layered approach. Learning Communities Journal. 8(1), 71-97.
- Louie, H.T. (2016). The relationship between sports facilities and youth engagement in sports and recreation. Journal of Youth Studies, 19(1), 47-54.
- Fong, S.M., X. Guo, X., Liu, K. P.Y., Ki, W.Y., Louie, L.H.T., Chung, R. C. K, & Macfarlane, D. J. (2016). Task-Specific Balance Training Improves the Sensory Organisation of Balance Control in Children with Developmental Coordination Disorder: A Randomised Controlled Trial. Scientific Reports, 6, 20945. DOI: 10.1038/srep20945.
- Louie, L., Zang, Y., & Fu, F. (2015). A preliminary study on the physiological response in hypoxia training for adolescent distance runners. Pediatric Exercise Science, 27, 61.
- Frederick Ka Wing Ho, Lobo Louie, Chun Bong Chow, Wilfred Hing Sang Wong and Patrick Ip. (2015). Physical activity improves mental health through resilience in Hong Kong Chinese adolescents. BMC Pediatrics, 15:48.
- Bik C. Chow, Thomas L. McKenzie, & Louie, L. (2015). Physical Activity and Its Contexts during Preschool Classroom Sessions. Advances in Physical Education, 5, 194-203.
- Frederick Ka Wing Ho, Louie, L., Chun Bong Chow, Wilfred Hing Sang Wong and Patrick Ip. (2015). Physical activity improves mental health through resilience in Hong Kong Chinese adolescents. BMC Pediatrics, 15:48.
- Bik C. Chow, Thomas L. McKenzie, & Louie, L. (2015). Children’s Physical Activity and Associated Variables during Preschool Physical Education. Advances in Physical Education, 5, 39-49.
- Louie, L., Wong, K.C., & Chow, B. (2014). A survey on the swimming abilities among secondary school students in Hong Kong. Asian Journal of Physical Education & Recreation. Vol. 20. (1), 6-11.
- Chow, B., Chan, A., Tong, K., & Louie, L. (2013). Social cognitive theory based intervention targeting non-working time physical activity in adults with intellectual disabilities. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. Vol. 15 Supplement (1), 350.
- Louie, L. (2013). Injury incidence and injury patterns in high school volleyball student athletes – A retrospective study. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise. Vol. 15 Supplement (1), 375.
- Chow, B., & Louie, L. (2013). Difference in children’s gross motor skills between two types of preschools. Perceptual Motor Skills: Skills & Erogonomics. Vol. 116(1), 253-261.
- Louie, L. (2012). Current evidence in respiratory muscle training and exercise performance. Hong Kong Medical Diary. Vol. 16(12), 12-14.
- Li, E., Lam, M., Louie, L., & Li, S. (2012). An analysis of history and cultural background of Chinese tai chi softball. Asian Journal of Physical Education & Recreation. Vol. 18(1), 27-30.
- 香港電台 【左右紅藍綠】港協換屆處事要增加透明度（2014年3月31日）。
Research Grants (Since 2012)
- “Mus-Fit Action Project –Promotion of Muscular Fitness among Older Adults”. Grant Support: Hong Kong Jockey Club Charities Trust. 2018 – 2021. Co-I, HK$13,350,000
- “Physical fitness, health and nutrition profile among Chinese adults with visual impairments”. 2017-18. Co-I, Grant Support: Internal Research Grant, Education University of Hong Kong. HK$99,765
- "Influences on Preschool Children's Physical Activity: A Qualitative Study of Parents' Perspectives.", 2015-2016, PI, Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$49,350
- "General Research Fund. Effectiveness of school-based weight management program for overweight and obese students with mild intellectual disability in a special school: A randomized controlled trial.", 2014-2016, Co-I, Grant support: Research Grants Council, HK$406,245
- "Building Learning Community through a Transdisciplinary Multi-layered Approach", 2012-2014, Co-I, Grant support: Strategic Development Fund (SDF), HKBU, Co-I, HK$1,978,400
Community/Professional Services (Ongoing)
- Elite Sports Committee, Sports Commission, Home Affairs Bureau, HKSAR (2019-2020)
- Working Group on Sports Facilities, Home Affairs Bureau, HKSAR (2015-)
- Football Task Force committee, Home Affairs Bureau, HKSAR (2019-2021)
- Steering Committee Member on Prevention and Control of Non-communicable Disease, Food and Health Bureau, HKSAR (November 2018 to November 2021)
- Reviewer, The Health Care and Promotion Fund (HCPF), Food and Health Bureau, HKSAR (2012-)
- Award Council of the Hong Kong Award for Young People (2019-2021)
- Technical Advisor, Employees Retraining Board, HKSAR (2019-2021)
- Honorary Advisor, Hong Kong Customs and Excise Department (2018 – 2020)
- Honorary Advisor, Hong Kong Correctional Services Department (2016-)
- Radio Television Hong Kong Programme Advisory Panel, 2018 – 2020)
- Honorary Scholar, School of Continuing Education, Hong Kong Baptist University (2007-)
- Textbook Committee, Textbook Review Panels, Education Bureau, HKSAR (2015-)
- Committee member, The Boys' & Girls' Clubs Association of Hong Kong (2019-)
- Committee member, The Boys' & Girls' Clubs Association of Hong Kong (2019-)