Position: Associate Professor
Office: 12/F Shek Mun Campus, HKBU
Telephone No.: 3411 3082 (office)
Fax No.: 3411 3357 (office)
ORCID ID: https://orcid.org/0000-0003-0439-4804
Ph.D. in Medical Sciences, the Chinese University of Hong Kong
M.S. in Public Health, Sun Yat-sen University (the former “Sun Yat-sen Medical University”), China
M.D. in Preventive Medicine, Shandong University (the former “Shandong Medical University”), China
- Lifestyle and obesity
- Physical activity and injury
- Air pollution, physical activity and health
- Wider health determinants
- Systematic review
Dr. Gao is an assistant professor of the Department of Sport and Physical Education, Hong Kong Baptist University. She was trained as a doctor in Preventive Medicine in the Chinese Mainland and got her PhD in Public Health (CUHK, Hong Kong). Dr. Gao teaches research and health related courses. She is also a PhD supervisor and a co-coordinator of the Honours Project for undergraduates. Except for teaching, Dr. Gao is also an active researcher. Her research interests include common non-communicable diseases (such as obesity and injury), and health determinants (such as physical activity). She has been proactively involved in studies with diverse study designs (including epidemiological study, cohort study, intervention, systematic review, meta-analysis) and published more than 50 articles in international peer-reviewed journals. Currently, Dr. Gao is leading a GRF project and a HCPS (under HMRF) project. In terms of professional services, Dr, Gao is serving as a member of the Standing Committee of Injury Prevention and Control Branch, Chinese Preventive Medical Association (China), a member of the Standing Committee of Child Injury Working Group, Injury Prevention and Control Branch, Chinese Preventive Medical Association (China), a member of the Hong Kong Society of Behavioral Health, and a member of the Hong Kong Epidemiological Association. She is sitting in the editorial board of two peer-reviewed journals (Cogent Medicine and Injury Medicine). In addition, Dr. Gao is the President of the Hong Kong Alumni Association of the Sun Yat-sen Medical University (2019-2022) and a director of the Council of the SYSU United Alumni Association (Hong Kong) (2018-2021).
Teaching (Recent 5 years)
- Research Methods
- Prevention and Care of Sport Injuries
- Honours Project (I and II)
- PhD supervision
- Health Promotion
- Health and Fitness
- Scientific Foundations to Human Movement
- Certified doctor in Public Health (China), 2000
- Temporary adviser to World Health Organization (WHO) in the consultation on Identifying Approaches to Control Obesity, 2011
- Invited speaker on the 11th International Congress on Obesity, 2010
- Invited speaker on Community-Based Obesity Prevention, the satellite conference to the 10th International Congress on Obesity, 2006
Recent Publications (Since 2012)
Peer reviewed journal articles:
- Brown T, Moore THM, Hooper L, Gao Y, Zayegh A, Ijaz S, Elwenspoek M, Foxen SC, Magee L, O’Malley C, Waters E, Summerbell CD. Interventions for preventing obesity in children. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2019, Issue 7. Art. No.: CD001871. DOI: 10.1002/14651858.CD001871.pub4. (Publisher: Cochrane Library; on 23 July 2019, IF=6.754)
- Wang J, Huang L, Gao Y, Wang Y, Chen S, Huang J, Zheng W, Bao P, Gong Y, Zhang Y, Wang M, Wong MCS. Physically active individuals have a 23% lower risk of any colorectal neoplasia and a 27% lower risk of advanced colorectal neoplasia than their non-active counterparts: systematic review and meta-analysis of observational studies. British Journal of Sports Medicine (Br J Sports Med). doi:10.1136/bjsports-2018-100350 (Publisher: BMJ Group; Published Online First: on 11 July 2019, IF= 11.645)
- Tang D, Cai W, Yang W, Gao Y, Li L. Gender-Specific Risk Factors of Physical Activity-Related Injuries among Middle School Students in Southern China. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health (Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health) 2019; 16(3). pii: E2359. doi: 10.3390/ijerph16132359. (Publisher: MDPI; 03 July 2019, IF= 2.468)
- Cai W, Gao L, Li L*, Gao Y*, Jia C, Yang W, Duan S, Zhang H. Epidemiology of Physical Activity-Related Injuries in Chinese University Students. Scandinavian Journal of Medicine and Science in Sports (Scand J Med Sci Sports) 2019; 29: 1331–1339. doi: 10.1111/sms.13440. (Publisher: John Wiley & Sons Ltd; on 29 April 2019 (online first) and 04 Aug, 2019, IF= 3.623)
- Gao Y, Cai W, Gao L, Wang J, Liang J, Kwok H, Jia C, Li L. Physical activity-related injuries among university students: a multi-center cross-sectional study in China. BMJ Open 2018; 8: e021845. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2018-021845. (Publisher: BMJ; on 22 Sep, 2018, IF= 2.413)
- Wang JJ, Wang M, Lau PWC, Ainsworth BE, He G, Gao Y. Physical activity as a mediator of the associations between perceived environments and body mass index in Chinese adolescents. Health & Place. 2018, 54: 37-42. (Publisher: Elsevier; 19 Sep, 2018, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.healthplace.2018.09.004, IF=3.00).
- Wang J, Gao Y*, Kwok HHM, Huang WYJ, Li S, Li L. Children with intellectual disability are vulnerable to overweight and obesity: a cross-sectional study among Chinese children. Childhood Obesity 2018; 14(5): 316-326. DOI: 10.1089/chi.2018.0015 (Publisher: Mary Ann Liebert, Inc.; 5 July, 2018, IF= 2.532)
- Cai W, Gao Y, Yang W, Cheng F, Tang D, Li L. Physical Activity-Related Injury and Its Associated Factors among Middle School Students in Southern China. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health (International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health) 2018, 15(6), 1244. https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph15061244 (Publisher: MDPI; 12 June 2018, IF=2.468)
- Wang JJ, Gao Y, Lau PWC. Prevalence of overweight in Hong Kong Chinese children: Its associations with family, early-life development and behaviors-related factors. Journal of exercise science and fitness, 2017; 15: 89-95. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesf.2017.10.001 (Publisher: Elsevier. Dec 15, 2017, IF=0.710)
- Wei D, Feng L, Lin S, Maddison R, Mhurchu CN, Jiang Y, Gao Y, Wang H. Systematic review and meta-analysis of school-based obesity interventions in mainland China. PLoS ONE, 2017; 12(9): e0184704. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0184704 (Publisher: Public Library of Science Sept 14, 2017, IF=2.806)
- Cerin E, Sit C, Barnett A, Huang WYJ, Gao Y, Wong SHS, Sallis JF. Reliability of self-report measures of correlates of obesity-related behaviours in Hong Kong adolescents for the iHealt(H) and IPEN Adolescent studies. Archives of Public Health, 2017; 75:38. doi: 10.1186/s13690-017-0209-5. (Publisher: Springer, Sep 25, 2017, Scimago Q1)
- Xiao Y, Peng C, Huang W, Zhang J, Gao Y, Kim JH, Yeoh E, Su X. Circulating Proprotein Convertase Subtilisin/Kexin Type 9 (PCSK9) Concentration and Risk of Cardiovascular Events: Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis of Prospective Studies. Circulation Journal, 2017 81 (8): 1150-1157. (Publisher: Japanese Circulation Society, 2017 Jul 25;81(8):1150-1157. doi: 10.1253/circj.CJ-16-1142, IF=4.124)
- Ji Y, Ye Y, Lu Y, Li L, Gao Y. An Intervention to Reduce Bicycle Injuries among Middle School Students in Rural China. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health (International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health), 2017, 14(7), 690; doi:10.3390/ijerph14070690. (IF=2.101)
- Wang JJ, Tom B, Lau PWC, Buday R, Gao Y. Story Immersion May Be Effective in Promoting Diet and Physical Activity in Chinese Children. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior. 2017; 49:321-329. doi: 10.1016/j.jneb.2017.01.001 (Publisher: Elsevier, Inc.; IF=2.253)
- Chan EYY, Gao Y*, Li LP, Lee PY. Injuries Caused by Pets in Asian Urban Households: A Cross-sectional Telephone Survey. BMJ Open 2017; 7: e012813. (*: Co-first author. doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2016-012813, IF=2.562)
- Chen Y, Gao Y, Zhou L, Tan Y, Li L. A Comparative Study of Dog- and Cat-induced Injury on Incidence Rate and Risk Factors among Children. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health 2016, 13, 1079. (doi:10.3390/ijerph13111079, IF= 2.035)
- Wong SH, Huang WY, Cerin E, Gao Y, Lai PC, Burnett A. Home and neighbourhood environment: association with children’s physical activity and obesity-related dietary behaviour. Hong Kong Med J 2016; 22 (Suppl 6):S43-7. (IF= 0.887)
- Gao Y, Wang J, Lau P, Ransdell L. Pedometer-determined physical activity patterns in a segmented school day among Hong Kong primary school children. Journal of exercise science and fitness, 2015; 13: 42-48. (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jesf.2015.03.002, IF=0.529) found my publications under other accounts
- Wei X, Yang N, Gao Y, Wong SYS, Wong MCS, Wang J, Wang HHX, Li DKT, Tang J, Griffiths SM. Comparison of three models of ownership of community health centres in China: a qualitative study. Journal of Health Services Research & Policy (J Health Serv Res Policy), 2015; 94 (5): e455. (doi:10.1177/1355819615579700, IF= 2.087)
- Su X, Li L, Griffiths SM, Gao Y, Lau JTF, Mo PKH. Smoking behaviors and intentions among adolescents in rural China: The application of the Theory of Planned Behavior and the role of social influence. Addictive Behaviors, 2015; 48: 44-51 (doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.addbeh.2015.04.005, IF= 2.441)
- Gao Y, Lo YM, Duan Y, Lee KL. A Pilot study on physical activity related injury (PARI) in primary school children in Hong Kong. Injury Medicine, 2014; 3 (3): 19-25. (doi: 10.3868 / j.issn.2095-1566.2014.03.005)
- Gao Y, Chan EYY, Li LP, Lau PWC, Wong TW. Chronic effects of ambient air pollution on respiratory morbidities among Chinese children: a cross-sectional study in Hong Kong. BMC Public Health, 2014, 14: 105. (https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-2458-14-105 , IF= 2.32)
- Gao Y, Li LP, Chan EYY, Lau J, Griffiths S. Parental migration, self-efficacy and cigarette smoking among Chinese rural adolescents. PLoS ONE, 2013 8(3): e57569. (doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0057569, http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0057569 , IF=4.092)
- Gao Y, Chan EYY, Zhu YJ, Wong TW. Adverse effect of outdoor air pollution on cardiorespiratory fitness in Chinese children. Atmospheric Environment, 2013; 64: 10-17. (doi: 10.1016/j.atmosenv.2012.09.063, IF= 3.465)
- Gao Y, Chan EYY, Li LP, He QQ, Wong TW. Chronic effects of ambient air pollution on lung function among Chinese children. Archives of Disease in Childhood, 2013; 98(2): 128-35. (doi: 10.1136/archdischild-2011-301541, IF= 2.616)
- Wang HHX, Wong SYS, Wong M, Wei X, Wang J, Li DKT, Tang J, Gao Y, Griffiths SM. Patients’ Experiences in Different Models of Community Health Centers in Southern China. Annals of Family Medicine, 2013, 11: 517-526. (November 2013, doi: 10.1370/afm.1545. IF= 5.355)
- Gupta S, Carmichael C, Simpson C, Clarke MJ, Allen C, Gao Y, Chan EYY, Murray V. Electric fans for reducing adverse health impacts in heatwaves. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews, 2012, 7. doi: 10.1002/14651858.CD009888.pub2 . (IF=6.186)
- Tsang SL, Gao Y*, Chan EYY. A pilot study on unintentional household injury among children with intellectual disability in Hong Kong. Injury Medicine, 2012; 1 (1): 25-32. doi: 10.3868/j.issn.2095-1566.2012.01.005 (*: co-first author. The opening issue.)
- Wong CS, Wang H, Wong YSS, Wei X, Yang N, Zhang Z, Li H, Gao Y, Li D, Tang J, Wang J and Griffiths SM. Performance Comparison among the Major Healthcare Financing Systems in Six Cities of the Pearl River Delta Region, Mainland China. PLoS ONE 2012; 7(9): e46309. (doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0046309, IF= 4.092)
Research Grants (Since 2012)
- “A blended intervention to promote physical activity, health, and work productivity among ofﬁce employees using intervention mapping: a cluster-randomized controlled trial”, 2020-2022, PI, Grant support: General Research Fund (GRF), University Grants Committee of Hong Kong, HK$1,076,226, Ref. No.: 12609919.
- “School-based physical activity intervention for obesity among adolescents with intellectual disability in Hong Kong”, 2018-2019, PI, Grant support: Health Care and Promotion Scheme (HCPS), under the Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF), Food and Health Bureau of Hong Kong, HK$334,520, Ref. No.: 01170068.
- “Associations among social media use, exercise, sedentary behavior, and mental health in college students”, 2018-2019, Co-I, Grant support: Science and Technology Service Grant, supported by the General Administration of Sport of China, ¥140,000, Ref. No.:18-42.
- “A theory-based intervention for physical activity-related injury among middle school students”, 2018-2019, Co-I, Grant support: Science and Technology Service Grant, supported by the General Administration of Sport of China, ¥50,000.
- “Case-control study on multiple physical activity related injuries among university students in Hong Kong: a top-up of a multicentre mixed study supported by NSFC”, 2017-2018, PI, Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$50,000, RG1/16-17/051.
- “Relationship between Multiple Physical Activity- Related Injuries (PARIs) and Polymorphisms of Relevant Genes of Human Executive Functions among Undergraduates”, 2017.01 – 2017.12, Co-I, Grant support: National Natural Science, China, ¥ 150,000, Ref.: 31640038.
- “A Pilot on A Prospective Biweekly Data Collection Procedure for A Prospective Cohort Study on Relationship between Obesity and Physical Activity Related Injuries among Secondary School Students in Hong Kong”, 2016-2017, PI, Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$50,000, FRG1/15-16/031.
- “Relationship of Particulate Matter Air Pollution and Exhaled Nitric Oxide among Primary School Children in Hong Kong”, 2016-2017, PI, Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$150,000, FRG2/15-16/095.
- “Sedentary behavior guidelines for preschool children: compliance and knowledge gaps”, 2015-2016, Co-I, Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$50,000, FRG1/15-16/017.
- “A Cross-sectional Study on Obesity and Risk Factors in Children with Intellectual Disability in Hong Kong”, 2014-2015, PI
Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$50,000
- “A pilot study on physical activity-related injury among adolescents in Hong Kong”, 2014-2015, PI
Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$100,000
- “An Extended Baseline Survey of A 6-year Cohort to Study Development of Childhood Obesity and Its Correlates among Primary School Students Aged 6-11 Years in Hong Kong”, 2013-2014, Co-I
Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$50,000
- “Understanding the relative contribution and interactive effects of psychological, social and environmental correlates of physical activity, sedentary behaviours and dietary behaviours in Hong Kong adolescents", 2012-2013, Co-I
Health and Health Service Research Fund, HK$772,995
Professtional Memberships (Ongoing)
- Member of Standing Committee of Child Injury Working Group, Injury Prevention and Control Branch, Chinese Preventive Medical Association (Since 2015)
- Member of Young Researcher Group, Injury Prevention and Control Branch, Chinese Preventive Medical Association (Since 2015)
- Member of the Hong Kong Society of Behavioral Health (Since 2015)
- Member of Standing Committee of Injury Prevention and Control Branch, Chinese Preventive Medical Association (Since 2013)
- Editorial Board Member of Injury Medicine (Since 2011)
- Member of the Hong Kong Epidemiological Association (Since 2006)
Community/Professional Services (Ongoing)
- President of the Hong Kong Alumni Association of the Sun Yat-sen Medical University (Since 2019)
- Director of the Council of the SYSU United Alumni Association (Hong Kong) (Since 2018)