Position: Head and Professor
Coordinator of Research Post-graduate Program
Director, Dr. Stephen Hui Research Centre for Physical Recreation and Wellness
Office: AAB 936, Academic and Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus
Telephone No.: 3411 7007 (office)
Fax No.: 3411 5757 (office)
Ph.D., University of Georgia, USA
M.S., B.S. Springfield College, MA, USA
Advanced Teacher's Certificate, Grantham College of Education, HK
Teacher Certificate, Sir Robert Black College of Education, HK
- Test & measurements
- Fitness testing
- Women in sport
- Children's physical activity
- Research Award: 2008 Metzler-Freedman Outstanding Paper Award for best paper in Journal of Teaching in Physical Education for the year of 2008.
- Teaching Award: President's Award for Outstanding Performance in Teaching: Hong Kong Baptist University, 2002
- Valedictorian, Class of 1987: Springfield College, USA
- All-college Graduate Fellowship Award (1987): Springfield College, USA
Recent Publications (Since 2013)
- Sit, C.H.P., McKenzie, T.L., Ester, C., Chow, B.C., Huang, W.Y., & Yu, J. (2017). Physical activity and sedentary time among children with disabilities at school. Medicine & Science in Sport & Exercise, 49(2):292-297.
- Lam, M.H.S., Chow, B. C., Cheung, S.Y., Lee, K.Y., Li, W.H.C., Ho, E., Flint, S.W., Yang, L., & Yung, N.K.F. (2017). A Systematic Review of Recreation Therapy for Depression in Older Adults. Journal of Psychology and Psychotherapy, 7(2). DOI: 10.4172/2161-0487.1000298
- Chow, B.C., McKenzie, T.L., & Sit, C.H.P. (2016). Public parks in Hong Kong: Characteristics of physical activity areas and their users. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 13(7), 639-654. doi: 10.3390/ijerph13070639
- Chow, B.C., Huang W.Y.J., Choi, P.H.N. & Pan, C. (2016). Design and methods of a multi-component physical activity program for adults with intellectual disabilities living in group. Journal of Exercise Science & Fitness, 14, 35-40.
- Sivan, A., Tam, V. C., Hu, A., Chan, D. W. K., Leung, A. Y. L., Chaudhuri, T., Chow, B. C., Hung, S. S. L., Kim, L. E., Mah, D. N. Y., Shroff, R., & Wong, 0. M. H. (2016). Designing and implementing a two-level community of practice project to develop a teaching portfolio framework. Learning Communities Journal, 8(2), 51-69.
- Chow, B. C., McKenzie, T. L., & Louie, L. (2015). Physical activity and its contexts during preschool classroom sessions. Advances in Physical Education, 5(3), 194-203. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/ape.2015.53024
- Chow, B. C., McKenzie, T. L., & Louie, L. (2015). Children’s physical activity and associated variables during preschool physical education. Advances in Physical Education, 5(1), 39-49. http://dx.doi.org/10.4236/ape.2015.51005
- Sam, K. L., Chow, B. C., & Tong, K. K. (2015, in press). Effectiveness of exercise-based interventions for children with autism: A systematic review and meta-analysis. International Journal of Learning & Teaching.
- Chow, B. C., Louie, L., & Cheung, P. P. (2014). Physical activity of young children in Hong Kong preschools. Asian Journal of Physical Education & Recreation, 19(1), 70-75.
- Louie, L., Wong, K. C., & Chow, B. C. (2014). A survey on the swimming abilities among secondary school students in Hong Kong. Asian Journal of Physical Education & Recreation, 20(1).
- Chow, B.C., & Louie, L.H.T. (2013). Differences in children's gross motor skills between two types of preschool. Perceptual & Motor Skills, 116(1 ), 253-261. DOI 10.2466/25.06.10.PMS.116.1.253-261
- FUNG, Y. K., Chan, D. K., Caudwell, K. M., & Chow, B. C. (2013). Is the wheelchair fencing classification fair enough? A kinematic analysis among world-class wheelchair fencers. European Journal of Adapted Physical Activity, 6(1), 17-29.
- Chow, B. C., Chan, A. S. Y., Tong, T. K. K., & Louie, L. H. T. (2013). Social cognitive theory based intervention targeting non-working time physical activity in adults with intellectual disabilities. Medicine & Science in Sports Exercise, l 5(Supplement), 375.
Research Grants (Since 2013)
- PI- "School-based motor skills and physical activity programme for preschoolers with developmental delay". Faculty Research Grant, HK$98,910 (2017-2018).
- PI- "Effectiveness of a physical activity intervention program for adults with intellectual disabilities living in group homes". Faculty Research Grant, HK$99,800 (2015-2016).
- Co-I-"Active transport in children and adolescents: What factors matter? Faculty Research Grant, HK$98,000 (2015-2016) (PI- W. Huang)
- Co-I-"Influences on preschool children's physical activity: a qualitative study of parents' perspectives. Faculty Research Grant, HK$60,000 (2015-2016) (Pl- L. Louie)
- Co-I-"Physical activity engagement and opportunities for children with disabilities in special school environments. GRF, HK$407,994 (2013-2015) (PI-C. Sit, CUHK)
- Specialist, Hong Kong Council for Accreditation of Academic & Vocational Qualifications (2015-2018)
- Member, HKDSE Physical Education Subject Committee (2013-2016)
- Vice-Chairman, Physical Fitness Association of Hong Kong, China (Since 1998)