Position: Assistant Professor,
Coordinator of B.A. (Hons.) Physical Education and Recreation Management Programme
and Associate Director, Centre for Global Sport and Recreation Studies
Office: AAB 930, Academic and Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus
Telephone No.: 3411 7004 (office)
Fax No.: 3411 5757 (office)
Ph.D. in Sport Management, University of Georgia, USA
M.Sc. in Sport Management, University of Florida, USA
M.Ed. in Sport Pedagogy, Taipei Physical Education College, Taiwan
M.Sc. in Biology, Tunghai University, Taiwan
B.Sc. in Biology, National Taiwan Normal University, Taiwan
Dr. Chen joined the Department of Sport and Physical Education at the Hong Kong Baptist University as an assistant professor in 2013, serving various academic roles. In addition to his teaching duty, currently he is the programme coordinator of B.A. (Hons.) Physical Education and Recreation Management programme as well as the associate director of Centre for Global Sport and Recreation Studies. Dr. Chen holds degrees in BA(Biology); MA(Biology, Sport Pedagogy, and Sport Management) and Ph.D.(Sport Management). His research focuses on Sport and Recreation Management, Sport Marketing and Consumer Behavior. His work has been published in various accredited scientific journals, including Sport Management Review, Journal of Physical Education and Sport Management and Journal of Hospitality, Leisure, Sport & Tourism Education. Dr. Chen also has a wide range of interest, knowledge and experience in various sports, basketball and weight training in particular. He is a certified resistance training specialist.
- Marketing in Leisure Services
- Recreation Programming and Event Management
- Theory and Practice in Physical Education and Recreation
- Motor Learning and Development
- Fitness and Recreation for Selected Population
- Weight Management & Healthy Living
- Principles and Practice of Resistance Training
- Team Sport: Basketball
- Graduate School Ph.D. Scholars of Excellence Fellowship ($38,000) (2011-2013). The University of Georgia, Athens, GA.
- William C. Friday Graduate Student College Sport Research Paper Award 2nd place (2010). The College Sport Research Institute (CSRI), Chapel Hill, NC.
- International Center Achievement Award (2008). The University of Florida, Gainesville, FL.
Recent Publications (Since 2012)
- Yu , H. S., Zhang, J. J., Kim, D. H., Chen, K. K., Min, S. D., & Huang, H. (2014). Service Quality, Perceived Value, Customer Satisfaction, and Behavioral Intentions among Elderly Consumers at a Sport and Fitness Center. Social behavior and personality, 42(5), 752-768.
- Chen, K. K. and Zhang, J. J. (2012). To name it or not name it: Consumer perspectives on facility naming rights sponsorship in Collegiate Athletics. Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, 5, pp. 119-148.
Research Grants (Since 2012)
- "Contributing to the mission of the NEST Foundation: A program designed for developing and empowering global sport leaders.", Co-I
Grant Support: The NEST Foundation. Seoul, Korea. $2,087,250 (Direct Cost - $1,878,525 and Indirect Cost - $208,725)
Date: 2012-2017 – pending
- "Envisioning a rainbow bridge between Seoul, Korea and Athens, Georgia: Materializing an international exchange program through academic collaborations.", Co-I
The Sport Industry and Marketing Center. Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea. $25,000 (Direct Cost - $22,727.30 and Indirect Cost - $2,272.70)
Date: Sept 2011 - May 2012
- Southern District American Alliance for Health, Physical Education, Recreation and Dance (Southern District) (Since 2012)
- The International Society of Sports Nutrition (Since 2011)
- The International Sports Sciences Association (Since 2011)
- North American Society for Sport Management (Since 2009)
- Sport Marketing Association (Since 2009)