PhD, Department of Exercise & Public Health, School of Postgraduate Medicine and Health Science, University of Exeter, Exeter, UK
Master of Physical Education, Springfield College, USA
Bachelor of Arts, The Chinese University of Hong Kong
- Exercise & overweight children’s behavioral modification
- Olympic Studies
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Academic Contribution to Service, HKBU (2017)
- Outstanding Paper Award, Asian Society of Physical Education of Young Children (2016)
- Adjunct Professor, School of Public Health, Peking University, China (2012-present)
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Performance in Scholarly Work, HKBU (2015, 2016)
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Performance in Teaching, HKBU (2014)
- Faculty Award for Outstanding Academic Contribution to Service, HKBU (2013)
- Accredited Sport Psychologist (Research), British Association of Sport and Exercise Sciences, United Kingdom (2005-2010)
- ISCPES Research Award, 16th Biennial Conference of the International Society for Comparative Physical education and Sport (ISCPES) (2008)
- The 1st Class Honor Award, The 7th Society of Chinese Scholars on Exercise Physiology and Fitness (2008)
- Jump Rope for Heart Project Award, Hong Kong College of Cardiology (2007)
Recent Publications (Since 2012)
- Wang JJ, Gao Y. & Lau PW. Prevalence of overweight in Hong Kong Chinese children: its associations
with family, early-life development and behavior-related factors. Journal of Exercise Science & Fitness, in
- Wang JJ, Chen, TA, Baranowski T., & Lau PW. (2017). Item response modeling: a psychometric
assessment of the children's fruit, vegetable, water, and physical activity self-efficacy scales among Chinese
children. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity, 14:126. DOI:
10.1186/s12966-017-0584-x 14:126. DOI: 10.1186/s12966-017-0584-x.
- Wang JJ, Baranowski T, Lau PW, Buday R., & Gao Y. (2017). Story Immersion may be effective in
promoting diet and physical activity in Chinese children. Journal of Nutrition Education and Behavior, 49(4):321-329.
- Kim, C. G. Lau, P. W. C., & Lee, J. S. (2017). Influence of post-exercise muscle cooling on oxidative stress,
antioxidants, and lactic levels. Gazzetta Medica Italiana - Archivio per le Scienze Mediche, 176(3):85-91.
- Lau, Patrick W.C. , Lau, Erica Y., Wang, J. J., Choi, C. R., & Kim, C. G. (2017). A pilot study of the
attractive features of active video games among Chinese primary school children. Games for Health Journal,
- Yang Yide, Lau Patrick W. C., Wang Jingjing, Dong Bin, Wu Lijing, Quach Binh, Wong Del P., Fu
Lianguo, Ma Jun, Wang Haijun. (2016). Associations among cardiorespiratory endurance, body mass index
and blood pressure in Han Chinese Children: Results from the 2010 Chinese National Survey on Students’
Constitution and Health. Hypertension Research, 39, 799-804 (Nov.), doi:10.1038/hr.2016.63.
- Lau, Patrick W.C. , Wang, J. J. & Maddison, R. (2016). A randomized controlled trial of school-based active
video game intervention on Chinese children's aerobic fitness, physical activity level and psychological
correlates. Games for Health Journal,5(6), 405-412.
- Wang J.J., Baranowski, T., Lau. Patrick. W.C., Chen, T.A., Zhang, S.G. (2016). Psychological Correlates
of Self-Reported and Objectively Measured Physical Activity among Chinese Children—Psychological
Correlates of PA. Int. J. Environ. Res. Public Health, 13(10), 1006; doi: 10.3390/ijerph13101006
- 劉永松、黃文江，2016。 更快、更高、更強：人生的體驗。香港 :天地圖書有限公司。
- Wang J.J., Baranowski, T., Lau. Patrick. W.C., Chen T. A., & Pitkethly, A. J. Validation of the Physical Activity Questionnaire for Older Children (PAQ-C) among Chinese Children. Biomedical and Environmental Sciences, 2016, Biomedical and Environmental Sciences, 2016;29(3):177-186.
- Song Y, Ma J., Wang, H. J., Wang, Z. Q., Lau PWC, Agardh, A. Age at spemarche: 15-year trends and association with Body Mass Index in Chinese school-aged boys. Pediatric Obesity, in press.
- Song Y, Ma J, Agardh, A., Lau PWC, Hu P, Zhang B. Secular trends of age at menarche among Chinese girls from 24 ethnic minorities, 1985 to 2010. (2015). Global Health Action, 8: 26929 - http://dx.doi.org/10.3402/gha.v8.26929.
- Wang, J.J., Lau. Patrick. W.C., Wang, H. J., & Ma, J. (2015). Evaluation of a comprehensive intervention with a behavioural modification strategy for childhood obesity prevention: a nonrandomized cluster controlled trial. BMC public health, 15(1), 1206. DOI 10.1186/s12889-015-2535-2.
- Lau, Patrick W.C. , Ho, Glos, & Leung, Beeto W. C. (2015). Exercise Identity, national Identity, and the perception of humanistic Olympics in the Beijing 2008 Olympics. East Asian Sport Thoughts: The International Journal for the Sociology of Sport, Volume 4, 97-114.
- Wang, J. J., Baranowski, T., Lau, Patrick W.C, Pitkethly, A. J. & Buday, R.. (2015). Acceptability and applicability of an American health videogame with story for childhood obesity prevention among Hong Kong Chinese children. Games for Health Journal, 4(6): 513-519. DOI: 10.1089/g4h.2015.0029.
- Lau, Patrick W.C. , Liang, Y., Lau, Erica. Y., Choi, C. R., Kim, G. C. & Shin M. S. (2015). Evaluating physical and perceptual responses to Exergames in Chinese children. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, 12(4), 4018-4030; doi:10.3390/ijerph120404018.
- Gao, Y., Wang, J. J., Lau, Patrick W. C. & Ransdell, L. (2015). Pedometer-determined physical activity patterns in a segmented school day in Hong Kong primary school children. Journal of Exercise Science and Fitness, 13(1): 42-48. DOI: 10.1016/j.jesf.2015.03.002.
- Pitkethly, A. & Lau, P. Reliability and validity of the short Hong Kong Chinese self-regulation of learning self-report scale (SRL-SRS-C). (2015). International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology, DOI: 10.1080/1612197X.2015.1025810
- Zhang, S. X & Lau Patrick WC. (2015). Investigation of cyclists’ demographics, behaviors, motivation and satisfaction on cycling adventure tour in China. Hong Kong Recreation Review, 27, 37-44.
- Lau, Erica Y., Lau, Patrick W. C., Archer, E. & Cai, B. (2015). The effects of text message content on the use of an Internet-based physical activity intervention in Hong Kong Chinese adolescents. Journal of Health Communication: International Perspectives, 20(9): 1041-1051. DOI: 10.1080/10810730.2015.1018580.
- Liang, Y. & Lau Patrick WC, Huang, Y. J., Maddison. R. & Baranowski, T. (2014). Validity and reliability of questionnaires measuring physical activity, self-efficacy, enjoyment, social support among Hong Kong Chinese children. Preventive Medicine Reports, 1, 48-52.
- Lau, Patrick W. C., Wong, D., Ngo, J. K., Liang, Y., Kim, G. C. & Kim, H. S. (2014). Effects of high-intensity intermittent running exercise in overweight children. European Journal of Sport Science, 15 (2): 182-190. WangDOI:10.1080/17461391.2014.933880.
- Liang, Y. & Lau Patrick WC. (2014). Effects of Active Video Games on Physical Activity and Related Outcomes among healthy children: A systematic review. Games for Health Journal, 3(3), 122-144.
- Fu, L. G., Wang, H. J., Li, X. H., Wang, Z. Q., Lau, P. W. C., Yang, Y. D., Meng, X. K. & Ma, J. (2014). An objective measure to evaluate actual body shape among children and adolescents in China. Biomedical and Environmental Sciences, 27:1-13.
- Gao Y, Chan EYY, Li LP, Lau PWC, Wong TW. Chronic effects of ambient air pollution on respiratory morbidities among Chinese children: a cross-sectional study in Hong Kong. BMC Public Health, 2014, 14: 105. (doi: 10.1186/10.1186/ 1471-2458-14-105; http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/14/105)
- Song Y, Wang HJ, Ma J, Lau PW, Hu P, Zhang B,et al. BMI-for-age Z-score distribution shifts among Chinese children: Gender disparity. Obesity, 2014; 22(4): 1187-1193.
- Wong, Angela K. F. & Lau, Patrick W. C. (2014). An investigation into the service quality between private and public horse riding schools in Hong Kong. Hong Kong Recreation Review, 26, 21-27.
- Jiang D. & Lau, Patrick W. C. (2014). Residents’ Perceptions of the Impacts of the 2013 Chinese Grand Prix. Hong Kong Recreation Review, 26, 31-41.
- Chung, P. K., Lau, Patrick W. C. & Tong, T. K. (Ed.). (2013). Youth, health and technology. Hong Kong Baptist University.
- Lau, Patrick W. C., Wong, P., & Ransdell, L. (2013). Influence of Perceived to Actual Body Ratings on Peer Relationships and Physical Self-Concept in Chinese Children. International Journal of Physical Education,50(2),13-25.
- Liu, H. M. & Lau, Patrick W. C. (2013). Review and preview of local youth sports development: A holistic perspective of Hong Kong’s youth sports policy. Hong Kong Recreation Review, 25, 39-44.
- Xia, Q., Lau, Patrick W. C. & Pitkethly, A. (2013). A review of the sports agents system. Hong Kong Recreation Review, 25, 15-28.
Research Grants (Since 2012)
- Lau, W. C. (2016-17). Intervention study of Active Video Games on intellectual disabled children’s physical activity level, motor ability and physical fitness. Funding Body: General Research Fund Funding Amount: HK$490,200
- Lau , W. C., Huang, Wendy, Y. J., Maddison, R. & Wang, H. J. (2015-16). Development of the Instruments to Assess Environmental Factors Associated with Physical Activity in Hong Kong University Students by Crowdsourcing Method in Mobile Technology. Funding Body: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU Funding Amount: HK$149,860
- Lau , W. C. (2015-16). Investigation of the effectiveness and successful features of Facebook in youth PA intervention. Funding Body: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU Funding Amount: HK$50,000
- Lau, Patrick, W. C. (2014-15). Feasibility investigation of the establishment of the Area of Excellence (AoE) in Olympic Research and Education. Funding Body: SOSC Faculty GRF Incentive Award Scheme, HKBU Funding Amount: HK$30,000
- Lau, W. C., & Maddison, R. (2013-14). Intervention study of Active Video Games on sedentary children’s aerobic fitness, physical activity level and exercise-related self-efficacy. Funding Body: General Research Fund Funding Amount: HK$303,520
- Lau , W. C. (2013-14). An extended baseline survey of a 6-year cohort to study development of childhood obesity and its correlates among primary school students aged 6-11 years in Hong Kong. Funding Body: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU Funding Amount: HK$50,000
- Lau , W. C. (2013-14). Investigation of Active Video Games on Sedentary Children's Physical Activity Level and Exercise Related Self-efficacy. Funding Body: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU Funding Amount: HK$50,000
- Lau , W. C. (2013). An intervention study of self-regulation training and mobile-phone on the physical fitness & physical activity behavioral changes in Chinese overweight school children. Funding Body: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU Funding Amount: HK$100,000
Professional Memberships (Ongoing)
- International Society of Behavioral, Nutrition, and Physical Activity
- World Leisure Organization
- Hong Kong Recreation Management Association
- Member of the Festival of Sport Organizing Committee, Sports Federation & Olympic Committee of Hong Kong, China
- Academic Committee Chairman, Hong Kong Recreation Management Association, Hong Kong.