Position: Assistant Professor and Director, Centre for Global Sport and Recreation Studies
Office: AAB 932, Academic and Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus
Telephone No.: 3411 7833 (office)
Fax No.: 3411 5757
Ph.D. in Exercise and Sport Sciences (Specialization in Sport Management), University of Tennessee, USA
M.A in Sport and Exercise Management, The Ohio State University, USA
B.E. in Industrial Engineering, Kon-Kuk University, Korea
- Organizational Theory/Behavior & Human Resource Management
In 2011, Dr. Kim joined the Department of Physical Education at the Hong Kong Baptist University as an assistant professor. In addition, he serves as the Director of Centre for Global Sport and Recreation Studies, Hong Kong Baptist University. He has developed several research lines in the organizational behavior/theory and sport marketing domains and published his research papers in peer-reviewed journals (e.g., Journal of Sport Management, Sport Management Review, and Sport Marketing Quarterly).He currently serves as an editorial board member for four peer-reviewed journals in the field of Sport Management and an external reviewer for Hang Seng Management College and Open University of Hong Kong.
Teaching (Recent 5 years)
- Planning and Developing Sport and Leisure Facilities
- Marketing in Leisure Services
- Organization and Administration in Physical Education and Recreation
- Financial and Human Resources Management in Leisure Services
- Theory and Practice of Physical Education and Recreation Management
Articles in Refereed Journals (Recent 5 years)
- Zheng, Z., Oh, T., Kim, S., Dickson, G., & De Bosscher, V. (in press). Measuring competition in elite table tennis: The Olympic Games and World Championships 1988-2016. Journal of Sports Science. doi.org/10.1080/02640414.2017.1375174
- Chiu, W., Won, D., & Kim, S. (in press). Extended model of sport spectator goal-directed behavior: The role of event prestige in non-major sport events. Event Management
- Kim, S., Magnusen, M.J., & Andrew, D.P.S., (2017). Sport team culture: Investigating how vertical and horizontal communication influence citizenship behaviors via organizational commitment. International Journal of Sport Psychology, 48(4), 398–418.
- Kim, S. (2017). Perceived organizational support as a mediator between distributive justice and sport referees’ job satisfaction and career commitment. Annals of Leisure Research, 20(2), 169-187.
- Lee, S. Kim, S., & Wang, S. (2017). Motivation factors influencing intention of mobile sports apps use by applying the Unified Theory of Acceptance and Use of Technology (UTAUT). International Journal of Applied Sports Sciences, 29(2), 115-127.
- Leung, K. M., Chung, P. K., & Kim, S. (2017). Parents’ Perceptions of Children’s Physical Activity in Hong Kong, European Physical Education Review, 23(2), 141–156.
- Adam, L. Watkins, J., & Kim, S. (2017). Admissions selectivity and academic major distribution in big-time college football. Journal of Issues in Intercollegiate Athletics, 10, 1-16.
- Yip, W. C., Kim, S., & Love, A. (2017). Sport referees’ quality of work life, job satisfaction, career commitment, and turnover. International Journal of Sport Management, 18(1), 44-64.
- Kim, S., Magnusen, M.J., & Andrew, D.P.S., (2016). Divided we fall: Examining the relationship between horizontal communication and team commitment via team cohesion, International Journal of Sport Science and Coaching, 11(5), 625–636
- Lee, S., Kim, S., Eagleman, A., & Wang, S. (2016). Coverage of sports gambling from 2009 to 2013 in U.S. newspapers: An analysis of newspaper article framing. Journal of Sport Media, 11, 63-85.
- Kim, S., Liu, J., & Love, A. (2016). The impact of event prestige on intent to continue sport participation, Journal of Sport Behavior, 39(2), 180-201
- Cheng, L., & Kim. S. (2016). The relationship between brand-program congruency and purchase intention. International Journal of Applied Sports Sciences, 28(2), 123-136.
- Kim, S., Liu, J., & Love, A. (2015). Event prestige as a mediator between sport involvement and intent to continue participation. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 121(2), 371-389.
- Kim, S., & Andrew, D.P.S. (2015). Relationships between organizational justice and coaches’ attitudinal outcomes in intercollegiate athletics. International Journal of Sports Science and Coaching, 10(2+3), 305-326.
- Kim, S., Andrew, D.P.S., Lee, C., & Lee, J. (2014). The impact of perceived event prestige on volunteer commitment and satisfaction at a mega sporting event. International Journal of Sport Management. 15(4),438-461
- Lee, S., Kim, S., & Love, A. (2014). Coverage of the Gay Games from 1980-2012 in U.S. newspapers: An analysis of newspaper article framing. Journal of Sport Management, 28 (2), 176-188.
- Kim, S., Hong, S., & Andrew, D.P.S. (2013). Sustainable volunteerism at a major international sporting event: The impact of perceived event prestige. Journal of Applied Sport Management, 5(4), 49-72
- Kim, S., & Andrew, D.P.S. (2013). Organizational justice in intercollegiate athletics: Perceptions of coaches. Sport Management Review, 16(2), 200-210.
Research Grants Received with the Role of Principal Investigator (Recent 5 years)
- Kim, S., Liu, J., & Love, A. (2015). Organizational Citizenship Behaviors in Sports: Scale Development and Validation. Faculty Research Grant (FRG), funded by HKBU, Amount: HK$81,000 (US$10,440)
- Kim, S. & Liu, J. (2013). The Role of Sport Commitment and Perceived Event Prestige in Predicting Marathon Participation. Faculty Research Grant (FRG), funded by HKBU, Amount: HK$28,000 (US$3,609)
Professional/Community Services (Recent 5 years)
- Editorial Board Member for International Journal of Sport Management, 2013 – Present
- Editorial Board Member for Journal of Applied Sport Management, 2013 – Present
- Editorial Board Member for Global Sport Business Association Journal, 2014 – Present
- Editorial Board Member for International Journal of Applied Sports Science, (English Journal of The Korea Institute of Sport Science), 2016- Present
- External Examiner for Courses of Lee Shau Kee School of Business and Administration (Management Specialization – English), Open University of Hong Kong, Dec. 2017 – Mar. 2020.
- External Reviewer of the Degree Module for the Department of Social Science, Hang Seng Management College, Sept. 2015 – Aug. 2018.