Ph.D., The Chinese University of Hong Kong, Hong Kong
M.Ed., Shanghai University of Sport, China
B.Med., Shandong University (Formerly known as Shandong Medical University), China
- Social-environmental influences on children’s physical activity and sedentary behaviors
- Longitudinal changes of these behaviors
- Physical activity assessment using objective and subjective methods
- Interventions to promote active lifestyle among children
- Fellowship, Hong Kong - Scotland Partners of Post Doctoral Research 2012/13. University Grants Committee (UGC), Hong Kong S.A.R. Government.
- CUHK Young Scholars Dissertation Awards 2008, The Chinese University of Hong Kong.
- Best Paper Award, The 2nd HKASMSS Student Conference on Sport Medicine, Rehabilitation and Exercise Science, 1 Nov, 2008.
Recent Publications (Since 2012)
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles:
- He Gang, Wong SH, Huang Y. Built environment and physical activity in children and youth. Sports Science (in Chinese). Chinese Journal of Sports Medicine (In Press)
- Cerin E, Sit CHP, Barnett A, Huang WY, Gao Y, Wong SH, Sallis JF. (2017) Reliability of self-report measures of correlates of obesity-related behaviours in Hong Kong adolescents for the iHealt(H) and IPEN Adolescent studies. Archives of Public Health, 75: 38.
- Cerin E, Suen Y, Barnett A, Huang WY, Mellecker RR. (2017) Development of physical activity-related parenting practices scales for urban Chinese parents of pre-schoolers: confirmatory factor analysis and reliability. Journal of Physical Activity & Health. 14, 692-700.
- Wong SH, Sun F, Chen Y, Li C, Zhang Y, Huang WY. (2017) Effect of Pre-exercise Carbohydrate Diets with High- and Low- Glycemic Index on Exercise Performance: A Meta-Analysis. Nutrition Reviews. 75(5): 327-338.
- Huang WY, Wong SH, He G. (2017) Is a change to active travel to school an important source of physical activity for Chinese children? Pediatric Exercise Science, 29, 161-168.
- Sit CHP, McKenzie TL, Cerin E, Chow B, Huang WY, Yu J. (2017) Physical Activity and Sedentary Time among Children with Different Disabilities at School. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 49(2): 292-297.
- Cerin E, Suen Y, Barnett A, Huang WYJ, Mellecker R. (2017) Validity of a scale of neighbourhood informal social control relevant to preschoolers’ physical activity: A cross-sectional study. Social Science and Medicine – Population Health, 3: 57-65.
- Huang WY, Wong SH, Wong MCS, Sit CHP, Sum RKW, He G. (2016) Results from the Hong Kong 2016 Report Card on Physical Activity for Children and Youth. Journal of Physical Activity & Health, 13 (Suppl 2), S169-S175.
- Wong SH, Huang WY, Cerin E, Gao Y, Lai PC, Burnett A. (2016) Home and neighbourhood environment: associations with children’s physical activity and obesity-related dietary behaviours. Hong Kong Medical Journal, 22 (Supplement 6): S43-47.
- Huang WY, Wong SH, He G, Salmon J. (2016) Isotemporal substitution analysis for sedentary behavior and body mass index. Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, 48 (11): 2135-2141.
- Chow B.C., Huang W.Y., Choi P.H.N., Pan C.Y. (2016) Design and methods of a multi-component physical activity program for adults with intellectual disabilities living in group homes. Journal of Exercise Science & Fitness. 14(1): 35-40.
- Yu J., Sit C.H.P., Capio C.M., Burnett A., Ha A.S.C., Huang W.Y. (2016) Fundamental movement skills proficiency in children with developmental coordination disorder: does self-perceived physical competence matter? Disability and Rehabilitation. 38(1): 45-51. doi: 10.3109/09638288.2015.1014067.
- Huang W.Y. and S.H. Wong. (2016) Time use clusters in children and their associations with sociodemographic factors. Journal of Public Health. (In press) doi:10.1093/pubmed/fdv088
- Wong S.H., Huang W.Y.,* and He G. (2015). Longitudinal changes in objectively measured physical activity differ for weekdays and weekends among Chinese children in Hong Kong. BMC Public Health. 15(1):1310. (*corresponding author)
- Suen Y.N., Cerin E., Mellecker R., Huang W.Y.J. (2015) Measures of environmental correlates of physical activity for urban Chinese pre-schooler-aged children: development and reliability. SAGE Open. doi: 10.1177/2158244015604690
- Yu J., Sit C.H.P., Capio C.M., Burnett A., Ha A.S.C., Huang W.Y. (2015) Fundamental movement skills proficiency in children with developmental coordination disorder: does self-perceived physical competence matter? Disability and Rehabilitation. Available online on 20 Feb 2015. doi: 10.3109/09638288.2015.1014067.
- Gang He, Huang W.Y., Wong S.H., Feng Y.B. (2015) Neighbourhood built environment and physical activity among Hong Kong children: a pilot study using GIS. Chinese Journal of Sports Medicine, 34(5): 431-436.
- Liang Y., Lau P.W.C., Huang W.Y., Maddison R., Baranowski T. (2014) Validity and reliability of questionnaires measuring physical activity self-Efficacy, enjoyment, social support among Hong Kong Chinese children. Preventive Medicine Reports. 1, 48-52.
- He G., Cerin E., Huang W.Y., and Wong S.H. (2014) Understanding neighborhood environment related to Hong Kong children’s physical activity: A Qualitative Study using nominal group technique. PLoS One. 9(9): e106578.
- Tanaka C., Reilly J.J., Huang W.Y. (2014) Longitudinal changes in objectively measured sedentary behavior and their relationship with adiposity in children and adolescents: systematic review and evidence appraisal. Obesity Reviews, 15(10):791-803.
- Wong S.H., Sun F.H., Huang Y.J., Chen Y.J. (2014) Effects of Beverages with Variable Nutrients on Rehydration and Cognitive Function. International Journal of Sports Medicine, 35:1208-1215.
- He G., Huang Y.J., Wong S.H. (2014) Physical activity research in Hong Kong from 1987 to 2012: evidence on children and adolescents. Asia-Pacific Journal of Public Health, 26(6):560-574.
- Cerin E., Sit C.H.P., Huang Y.J., Barnett A., Macfarlane D.J., Wong S.H. (2014). Repeatability of self-report measures of physical activity, sedentary and travel behaviour in Hong Kong adolescents for the iHealt(H) and IPEN – Adolescent studies. BMC Pediatrics, 14: 142.
- Huang Y.J., Wong S.H., Salmon J. (2013) Correlates of physical activity and screen-based behaviors in Chinese children. Journal of Science and Medicine in Sport, 16(6):509-514.
- Sun F.H., Huang Y.J., Wong S.H., Li L., and Fu Y.L. (2013) Metabolic and muscular responses during and after a 100 km hill walk. Journal of Sports Medicine and Physical Fitness, 53: 368-377.
- Sun F.H., Wong S.H., Huang Y.J., Chen Y.J., and Tsang K.F. (2012) Substrate utilization during brisk walking is affected by glycemic index and fructose content of a pre-exercise meal. European Journal of Applied Physiology, 112: 2565-2574.
Research Grants (Since 2012)
- “Freedom to explore? An investigation of independent mobility among children residing in an ultra-dense metropolis”, 2018-2019, PI
Grant support: General Research Fund (GRF), 2017-2018, RGC, HK$567,613
- “Evaluation of uptake and impact of physical activity guidelines for preschool children in Hong Kong”, 2017-2019, PI
Grant support: Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF) Research Fellowship Scheme, HK$649,276
- “Validation of the ActiGraph accelerometer in measuring ambulatory physical activity and sedentary time among children with cerebral palsy”, 2017-2019, PI
Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$149,100
- “Sedentary behavior guidelines for preschool children: compliance and knowledge gaps”, 2016-2017, PI
Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$50,000
- “A pilot on a prospective biweekly data collection procedure for a prospective cohort study on relationship between obesity and physical activity related injuries among secondary school students in Hong Kong”, 2016, Co-I
Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$50,000
- “Compensating for insufficient weekday physical activity and sleep on weekends: associations with obesity risk in adolescents”, 2015-2016, Co-I
Grant support: General Research Fund (GRF), 2015-2016, RGC
- “Active Transport in Children and Adolescents: What Factors Matter?”, 2014-2015, PI
Grant support: Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$97,500
- “Promoting Physical Activity among Adolescents in Hong Kong Using an Internet-based Program”, 2014, Co-I
Grant support: Health Care Promotion Fund 2014, Food and Health Bureau
- “A Cross-sectional Study on Obesity and Risk Factors in Children with Intellectual Disability in Hong Kong”, 2014-2015, Co-I
Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$50,000
- “A pilot study on physical activity-related injury among adolescents in Hong Kong”, 2014-2015, Co-I
Faculty Research Grant, HKBU, HK$100,000
- “A social ecological approach to investigating childhood obesity risk during transition period”, 2012-2013, Co-I
Group Research Scheme, CUHK, HK$497,220
- “Understanding the relative contribution and interactive effects of psychological, social and environmental correlates of physical activity, sedentary behaviours and dietary behaviours in Hong Kong adolescents”,2012-2013, Co-I
Health and Medical Research Fund (the former Health and Health Services Research Fund), Food and Health Bureau, HK$772,995
- “Home and neighbourhood environment: associations with children's physical activity and obesity-related dietary behaviours”, 2011-2012, Co-I
Health and Medical Research Fund (the former Health and Health Services Research Fund), Food and Health Bureau, HK$526,920
Professional Memberships (Ongoing)
- Hong Kong Society of Behavioral Health (HKSBH) (Since 2015)
- Hong Kong Association of Sports Medicine and Sports Science (HKASMSS) (Since 2009)
- International Society for Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (ISBNPA) (Since 2007)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM) (Since 2005)