Head and Professor
CHUNG, Pak Kwong 鍾伯光
Position: Head and Professor
Office: AAB 926A, Academic and Administration Building, Baptist University Road Campus
Telephone No.: 3411 7728 (office)
Fax No.: 3411 7734 (office)
Doctor of Physical Education, Major in Sports Psychology and Physical Fitness, Springfield College, MA, U.S.A.
Master of Physical Education, Major in Teaching and Administration, Springfield College, MA, U.S.A.
Bachelor of Physical Education, Major in Physical Education,National Taiwan Normal University, Taiwan (Distinction)
Prof. Chung is a professor and the Head of the Department of Physical Education, Hong Kong Baptist University. In addition to administration work of the headship, Prof. Chung has strong interest in conducting research in environmental, social, and psychological factors of active aging, with a particular focus on older adults’ functional fitness and health behaviors (e.g., walking and physical activity). He is also interested in conducting research in pedagogy of Physical Education in primary and middle school students that related to Self-determination Theory. Prof. Chung is currently carrying two GRF (RGC grant) projects and two internal FRG projects serving as the Principal Investigator. In terms of professional services, Prof. Chung is serving as External Reviewer of research grant for the Educational University of Hong Kong, External Examiner of the Coach Education Program of Hong Kong Sports Institute, Senior Assessor and Co-moderator of Physical Education Paper 3 (Physical Fitness) of Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority. Moreover, he is the Chairman of the Physical Fitness Association of Hong Kong, the Chairman of the University Sports Federation of Hong Kong, and Vice-President of Hong Kong Wushu Union.
Teaching (Recent 5 years)
Research / Publications (Recent 5 years)
1. Books and Book Chapters
- 梁家文，謝鋒，袁天樂，鍾伯光，饒華 (2016) 。健康易學輕排球。香港浸會大學。
- Chung, P.K., Lau, W. C., & Tong, T.K. (2013). Youth, Technology and Health. Hong Kong Baptist University.
II. Book Chapters
- Chung, P.K., Zhao, Y.N., Quach, B., & Liu, J.D., (2013). The Use of a Braille Version of the Cantonese RPE Scale in Visually Impaired Adolescents, p. 89-106. In Youth, Technology and Health, Hong Kong Baptist University.
- 鍾伯光, 姒剛彥,劉靖東(2012). 2004雅典奧運會台灣、香港地區運動心理學服務研究。中國奧運心理服務的研究，北京體育大學出版社，頁 69-103。
- Chung, P.K. & Li F. (2011). 訓練及比賽中的運動型熱病 (translated from ACSM Statement: Exertional Heat Illness during Training and Competition – MSSE, 29(3), 2007, pp 556-72), published in the ACSM Website.
2. Articles in Refereed Journals
- Chung, P. K., Zhao, Y. N., Liu, J. D., & Quach, B. (2017). A canonical correlation analysis of functional fitness and quality of life in older population. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 68, 44-48. doi: 10.1016/j.archger.2016.08.007
- Chung, P.-K., Zhang, C.-Q., Liu, J.-D., Chan, D. K. C., Si, G., & Hagger, M. (2017). The process by which perceived autonomy support predicts motivation, intention, and behavior for seasonal influenza prevention in Hong Kong older adults. BMC Public Health, 18:65.
- Liu, J. D., & Chung, P. K. (2017). Factor Structure and Measurement Invariance of the Need-Supportive Teaching Style Scale for Physical Education. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 124 (4), 864-879.
- Liu, J. D., Bartholomew, K., & Chung, P. K. (2017). Perceptions of teachers’ interpersonal styles and well-being and ill-being in secondary school physical education students: The role of need satisfaction and need frustration. School Mental Health, 9, 360-371.
- Liu, J. D., & Chung, P. K. (2016). Students’ perceived autonomy support and psychological needs satisfaction in physical education and exercise intrinsic motivation. Journal of Sport Behavior, 4, 409-425.
- Zhang, C.-Q., Si, G., Chung, P.-K., & Bu, D. (2017). A three-stage adversity coping model for Chinese athletes. Journal of Sport Psychology in Action, 8, 87-95. doi: 10.1080/21520704.2017.1287143
- Zhang, C.-Q., Chung, P.-K., & Si, G. (2017). Assessing acceptance in mindfulness with direct-worded items: The development and initial validation of the Athlete Mindfulness Questionnaire. Journal of Sport and Health Science, 6, 311-320. doi:10.1016/j.jshs.2015.09.010
- Zhao, Y., & Chung, P. K. (2017). Neighborhood environment walkability and health-related quality of life among older adults in Hong Kong. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 73, 182-186.
- Zhao, Y., Chung, P. K., & Tong, T. K. (2017). Effectiveness of a balance-focused exercise program for enhancing functional fitness of older adults at risk of falling: A randomised controlled trial. Geriatric Nursing, 38, 491-497.
- Zhao, Y. N., Chung, P. K., & Tong, T. K. (2016). Effectiveness of a community-based exercise program on balance performance and fear of falling in older nonfallers at risk of falling: a randomized, controlled study. Journal of Aging and Physical Activity, 24, 516-524.
- Chung, P. K., Zhao, Y. N., Liu, J. D., & Quach, B. (2016). Functional Fitness Norms for Community-dwelling Older Adults in Hong Kong. Archives of Gerontology and Geriatrics, 65, 54-62.
- Chung, P.-K., Zhang, C.-Q., Si, G., & Liu, J. D. (2016). Examination of construct validity of the Chinese short-form Five Facet Mindfulness Questionnaire in university students and elite athletes. Chinese Journal of Sports Medicine (in Chinese), 35(1), 53-62.
- Duan, Y.P., Lippke, S., Zhang, R., Brehm, W., & Chung, P.K. (2016). Testing the Validity of a Stage Assessment on Health Enhancing Physical Activity in a Chinese University Student Sample. BMC Public Health. 16: e260.
- Leung, K.M., Ransdell, R., Gao, Y., Shiman, J., Lucas, S., & Chung, P. K. (2016). A Regression Model to Examine Predictors of Physical Activity on College Campuses. California Journal of Health Promotion, 14(1), 44-56.
- Zhang, C.-Q., Si, G., Chung, P.-K., & Gucciardi, D. F. (2016). Mindfulness and burnout in elite junior athletes: The mediating role of experiential avoidance. Journal of Applied Sport Psychology, 26, 437-451. doi: 10.1080/10413200.2016.1162223
- Leung, K.M., Chung, P. K., Ransdell, R., & Gao, Y. (2016). Evaluation of the psychometric properties of the parents’ proxy MPAQ-C in Chinese population. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, 20(2), 112-120. doi: 10.1080/1091367X.2016.1146144
- Leung, K.M., Chung, P. K., & Kim, S. (2017). Parental support of children physical activity. European Physical Education Review, 23(2), 141–156. doi:10.1177/1356336X16645235
- Sum, R. K. W., Ha, A. S. C., Cheng, C. F., Chung, P. K., Yiu, K. T. C., Kuo, C. C., et al. (2016). Construction and Validation of a Perceived Physical Literacy Instrument for Physical Education Teachers. PLoS ONE 11(5): e0155610. doi:10.1371/journal.pnoe.0155610
- Zhang, C.-Q., Chung, P.-K., Si, G., & Gucciardi, D. F. (2016). Measuring decentering as a unidimensional construct: The development and initial validation of the Decentering Scale for Sport. Psychology of Sport and Exercise, 24, 147-158. doi:10.1016/j.
- Zhao, Y. N. & Chung, P. K. (2016). Differences of functional fitness between older adults with and without risk of falls. Asian Nursing Research, 10(1), 51-55.
- Duan, Y.P., Brehm, W., Wagner, P., Chung, P.K., Graf, S., Zhang, R., & Si, G.Y. (2015). Transition to Adulthood: Relationships among Psychosocial Correlates, Stages of Change for Physical Activity and Health Outcomes in a Cross-cultural Sample. Journal of Physical Activity and Health. 12(11):1461-1468.
- Liu, J. D., & Chung, P. K. (2015). Development and Initial Validation of the Chinese Version of Psychological Needs Thwarting Scale in Physical Education. Journal of Teaching in Physical Education, 34, 402-423. doi: 10.1123/jtpe.2014-0053.
- Liu, J. D., Chung, P. K., Zhang, C. Q., & Si, G. Y. (2015). Chinese-translated Behavioral Regulation in Exercise Questionnaire-2: Evidence from University Students in Mainland and Hong Kong of China. Journal of Sport and Health Science, 4, 228-234. doi:10.1016/j.jshs.2014.03.017
- Zhao, Y., & Chung, P. K. (2015). A preliminary design for a community-based exercise program for balance improvement and fall prevention. International Journal of Sports and Physical Education, 1(2), 5-14.
- Chung, P.K., Zhang, C. Q., & Liu, J. D. (2015). Mindfulness and Subjective Well-being in Athletes: Examining the Role of Cognitive Reappraisal as a Mediator. Chinese Journal of Sports Medicine, 34(5), 475-497. (in Chinese)
- Zhang, C. Q., Chung, P. K., Si, G., Du, M., & Liu, J. D. (2014). Tests of Reliability and Validity of the Emotion Regulation Questionnaire (ERQ) in Chinese Athletes and Students. Chinese Journal of Sports Medicine, 33(9), 907-913. (in Chinese)
- Liu, J.D., Chung, P.K., & Chen, W.P. (2014). Leisure Constraints of Recreational Sport Participation: Measurement Invariance and Latent Mean Differences Across Sex and Physical Activity Status. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 119, 363-376.
- Chung, P.-K., Liu, J. D., & Zhang, C.-Q. (2014). Verifying the Psychometric Properties of the Chinese Version Perceive Locus of Causality Scale for Chinese Secondary School Students in Hong Kong. Chinese Journal of Sports Medicine, 33(7), 713-720. (in Chinese)
- Chung, P. K., & Leung, K. M. (2014). A Concern about Hong Kong Adolescent’s Health and Sport Participation Induced by the World Cup. Journal of Youth Studies, 17(2), 75-82. (in Chinese)
- Chung, P. K., Mui, R, Zhao, Y.N., & Liu, J. D. (2014). Training Effects of Water Tai Chi on Health Indicators among Chinese Older Females in Hong Kong. International Journal of Physical Education, Sports and Health, 1(2): 20-24.
- Chung, P. K., & Zhang, C. Q. (2014). Psychometric Validation of the Toronto Mindfulness Scale – Trait Version in Chinese College Students. Europe’s journal of Psychology, 10(4), 726-739, doi: 10.5964/ejop.v10i4.776.
- Zhang, C.-Q., Chung, P.-K., Si, G., & Liu, J. D. (2014). Psychometric properties of the Acceptance and Action Questionnaire–II for Chinese college students and elite Chinese athletes. Measurement and Evaluation in Counseling and Development, 47, 256-270. doi: 10.11177/0748175614538064
- Zhang, C.-Q., Si, G., Chung, P.-K., Du, M., & Terry, P. C. (2014). Psychometric properties of the Brunel Mood Scale in Chinese adolescents and adults. Journal of Sports Sciences, 15, 1465-1476. doi: 10.1080/02640414.2014.898184
- Liu, J. D., & Chung, P. K. (2014). Development and Initial Validation of the Psychological Needs Satisfaction Scale in Physical Education. Measurement in Physical Education and Exercise Science, 18, 2, 101-122.
- Chung, P.K., Si, G., Liu, J. D., & Zhang, C. Q. (2013). The Reliability and Validity of the Chinese Version of Mindful Attention Awareness Scale. Chinese Journal of Sports Medicine, 32(12), 1105-1111. (in Chinese)
- Liu, J. D., Chung, P. K., & Duan, Y. (2013). Validity and Reliability of the Chinese translated basic psychological needs in exercise scale. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 29(1), 51-57.
- Liu, J.D., Chung, P.K., & Si, G. (2013).The Application of Self-Determination Theory among Chinese Populations. Advances in Psychological Science, 21(10),1803-1813. (in Chinese)
- Chung, P.K., Liu, J.D., & Chen, W.P. (2013). Perceived Constraints on Recreational Sport Participation: Evidence from Chinese University Students in Hong Kong. World Leisure Journal, 55(4), 347-359, doi: 10.1080/04419057.2013.836559.
- Chung, P.K., Leung, R.W., Liu, J.D., Quach, B., & Zhao, Y.N. (2013). Exercise Regulation During Cycle Ergometry Using Cantonese Version of Children’s Effort Rating Table and Borg’s Rating of Perceived Exertion Scale. Journal of Physical Education & Sport, 13(2), 170-176.
- Chung, P.K., & Liu, J.D. (2013). Motivational Regulations as Predictors of Exercise Behavioral and Affective Consequences of Chinese University Students. Journal of Sport Behavior, 36(3), 243-256.
- Chung, P. K., Cheng, K. C., Li, H. Y., Jiang, X. B., Su, N., Zhang, C. Q., & Si, G. Y. (2013). The effect of resilience training for Hong Kong junior athletes. International Journal of Sport and Exercise Psychology (Chinese Section), 11(2), 228-242.
- Chung, P.K., Si, G, & Zhang, C. (2013). A Review on the Application of Mindfulness-based Interventions in Sports Field. Chinese Journal of Sports Medicine, 32(1), 65-74. (in Chinese)
Research Grants Received with the Role of Principal Investigator (Recent 5 years)
1. From Government’s RGC-(GRF)
- GRF (Principal Investigator) (HK$791,820) (1 January 2016 to 31 December 2018)
Title: Residential Environment and Walking Behavior in Hong Kong Older Adults – A multi-level longitudinal study
- GRF (Principal Investigator) (HK$348,960) (1 September 2014 to 31 August 2016)
Title: Teachers’ Need-Supportive Behaviors and Students’ Physical Activity in Secondary School Physical Education Classes: An Observational Study
2. From Faculty Research Grant (FRG) of Hong Kong Baptist University
- FRG (Principal Investigator) (HK$50,000) (1 September 2017 to 31 August 2018)
Title: The Psychological Need Frustration Scale in Physical Activity Context: Development and Initial Validation
- FRG (Principal Investigator) (HK$49,900) (1 September 2014 to 31 August 2015)
Title: Ego-Depletion, Motivation, and Intention of the Prevention of Seasonal Influenza among Hong Kong Elderly People: A Randomized Controlled Trial
- FRG (Principal Investigator) (HK$100,000) (1 March 2014 to 28 February 2015)
Title: Development of functional fitness norms for nonfrail older adults in Hong Kong
- FRG (Principal Investigator) (HK$47,000) (1 September 2013 to 31 August 2014)
Title: Relationship between mindfulness and subjective well-being in Chinese athletes: Examining the role of emotion regulation as a mediator
- FRG (Principal Investigator) (HK$89,021) (1 September 2012 to 31 August 2013)
Title: The Use of the Cantonese Rating of Perceived Exertion Scale in Older People
Professional/Community Services (Recent 5 years)
- Member of the Referee Panel, The Health Care and Promotion Committee (HCPC), Food and Health Bureau, the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, since 2017
- Chairman, The University Sports Federation of Hong Kong (USFHK), since 7/2017.
- Vice-President of Hong Kong Wushu Union, since 2011
- Chairman, Executive Committee, Physical Fitness Association of Hong Kong, China, since 9/2015.
- Senior Assessor (Physical Fitness) and Co-moderator of Physical Education Paper 3 of Hong Kong Examinations and Assessment Authority, since 2011.
- External Reviewer, the Certificate in Advanced Sports Coaching Theory, Hong Kong Sports Institute, since August 2014.
- External Reviewer, CUHK Technology and Business Development Fund (TBF). March, 2013.
- External Reviewer, the Foundation Certificate in Sports Coaching Theory, Hong Kong Sports Institute, August, 2013.
- External Examiner, Applied Psychology Program, HKBU (25-1-2013 – 31-8-2013)
- Council member, Society of Chinese Scholars on Exercise Physiology and Fitness, since 2013.
- External Reviewer, Social Sciences and the Humanities 2012, The Portuguese Foundation for Science and Technology (FCT) (10/2012)
- Panel Member, Conferment of Academic Titles Panel, Higher Education Institute of Hong Kong, 26/9/2012.