Doctor of Physical Education, specialized in Sport Psychology, Springfield College, USA
Master of Science, specialized in Community Physical Education, Springfield College, USA
Advanced Teacher's Certificate, Grantham College of Education, HK
Teacher's Certificate, Northcote College of Education, HK
- Sport and Exercise Psychology
- Physical Education
- Sport and Leisure Management
- International Brevet Judge in Women's Artistic Gymnastics, International Federation of Gymnastics (F.I.G.), 1986-2016.
- Honorary Member, Executive Committee, Asian Gymnastics Union, 2012.
- Senior Fellow, American Leisure Academy (ALA), 2009.
- Certificate of Merit Student Stress Management Platform (SSMP), Quality Education Fund Outstanding Project Awards, 2008.
- Research Fellow, Research Consortium, The American Alliance for Health, Physical Education Recreation and Dance, 2003.
- Medal of Honour, Hong Kong Special Administrative Region Government, 2004.
- Champion, the 1996 Open Contest on Production of Physical Education Teaching Materials for Hong Kong Secondary Schools.
Recent Publications (Since 2012)
Referred Journal Papers:
- Cheung, S.Y., Mak, J. Y., & Dixon, A. (in press). Elite Active Sport Tourists: Economic Impacts and Perceptions of Destination Image. Event Management.
- Choi, P. H., & Cheung, S.Y. (in press). Effects of an eight-week structured physical activity program on psychosocial behaviors of children with intellectual disabilities. Adapted Physical Activity Quarterly.
- Cheung, S.Y. (2013). Promoting active aging in Hong Kong. Pan-Asian Journal of Sports and Physical Education, 5(1), 1-7.
- Cheung, S.Y., Chan, W. K. & Levy, J. (2012). Motivation and goal orientations of Master Games participants in Hong Kong. The Sport Journal, 15 <http://www.thesportjournal.org/tags/volume-15>.
- Li, H.T., Chan, J. S., Cheung, S.Y., & Yan, J.H. (2012). Inhibitory control differentiates rare target search performance in children. Perceptual and Motor Skills, 114(1), 339-351.
- Cheung, S.Y. (2014). Application of problem -based learning strategies to acquisition of sport psychology skills. In A. Siva, D. W.K. Chan, & E. Y.W. Wong (Eds.), Studies on teaching and learning Volume 3.(pp.119-129). Hong Kong: Pearson Education Asia Limited.
- Jones, D.F., D’Amico Lopez, R., Mwisukha, J., Cheung, S.Y., Piatkowska, M., Wanderi, P., Mak, J. Y., & Thairu, M. (2013). Examining sport management as a global academic discipline. In J. E. Saunders, M. Holzweg, W. Ho, & L. Housner, (Eds.), Current issues in Contemporary comparative physical education and sport. (pp.142-168). Berlin: Logos Verlag.
Referred Conference Proceedings:
- Cheung, S.Y. (2015). Promotion of active aging by the social ecological model. In F. Fu, & J. Levy (Eds.), Active aging and quality of life 2014. (pp.103-109).
- HO, W. ,LIU, R. & Cheung, S.Y. (2013). Evaluation study on the implementation of the physical education curriculum in Hong Kong. Commissioned by the Education Bureau of HKSAR.
Research Grants (Since 2012)
- "Provision of Consultancy Services for a Study on Sport for People with Disabilities in Hong Kong" withProf. Frank Fu (PI) and Dr. Peggy Choi (Co-I)
Grant support: Home Affair Bureau, HK$1,396,850
Commencement date: May 2015
Completion date: Mar 2016
- "Using Sports to Assist Drug Abusers to Abstain from Drug Use" with Dr. Peggy Choi and Mr. Mak Tsz Shun, Co-Is
Grant support: Tung Wah Group of Hospitals CROSS Center, HK$114,689.50
Commencement date: May 2015
Completion date: Feb 2016
- "Top-up Fund for Community of Practice Project: Enhancing students’ graduate attributes (GAs) through problem based learning and service learning in formal academic courses”, PI with 8 colleagues
Grant support: Teaching Development Grants, HK$120,000
Commencement date: May 2015
Completion date: Dec 2016
- “The effects of intermittent hypoxia training on physical and cognitive functions for older adults”, with Dr. Wendy Huang, Dr. Guo Linxuan, and Prof. Frank Fu, Co-Is
Grant Support: Faculty Research Grants, HKBU, HK$149,900
Commencement Date: May 2015
Completion Date: Jul 2016
- “Reinforcing the importance of academic integrity and ethics in students through blended learning-A Deployment of Augmented reality applications”, with Dr. Eva Wong (P-I) and 18 faculty members
Grant Support: UGC additional funding for theme-based projects on teaching and learning related initiatives, HK$7,985,000 (HKBU’S HK$4,139,000)
Commencement Date: Jun 2014
Completion Date: Mar 2017
- “A Community of Practice to create a model for student e-portfolios as a tool for life-long learning and assessment” with Dr. Tushar Chaudhuri (P-I) and 10 colleagues
Grant Support: Teaching Development Grants, HK$400,400
Commencement Date: May 2014
Completion Date: Apr 2015
- "Community of Practice Project: Enhancing students’ graduate attributes (GAs) through problem based learning and service learning in formal academic courses”, PI with 8 colleagues
Grant support: Teaching Development Grants, HK$499,760
Commencement date: Dec 2013
Completion date: Jun 2015
Community/Professional Services (Ongoing)
- Member, Advisory Committee on Admission of Quality Migrants and Professionals, Security Bureau (1 Jul 2014-30 Jun 2016)
- Member, Administrative Appeals Board, Administrative Wing, Chief Secretary for Administration’s Office (15 Jul 2012-14 Jul 2018)
- Executive Committee Member, International Sport and Culture Association (ISCA) (Nov 2011-Oct 2015)
- Member, Executive Committee, Hong Kong Society of Sport and Exercise Psychology (May 2009-Apr 2016)
- Advisor, Aberdeen Kai-fong Welfare Association Social Service Centre (Since 2005)
- Chairperson, The Gymnastics Association of Hong Kong, China (2004-2016)
- Advisor, Hong Kong Sports Association for the Mentally Handicapped (Since 2002)
- Board Member, Sports Ministry Coalition Ltd. (Since 1995)